Prestone Platinum Coolant

@nthach brought this to my attention.

1631030810772.jpg

It looks good but in small print its says to do flush/fills according to owners manual. I know its a typical disclaimer so what is the 15yr/350K worth if you dont follow the owners manual.
I have an oil thats warranted for 50,000 miles as long as you follow manufacturers OCI recommendations. :giggle:

Just checked on Prestone's website and there is no mention of it. Probably has a higher concentration of additives to stretch the service life from the regular AMAM 10 years 300,000 miles to 15 years 350,000 miles.

So Prestone calls for a 56/44 mix of this too as well. Not far off from Honda or Toyota’s 55/45 mix for Canada. Someone will have to analyze this.

I have to wonder when 10yr/300k is to short of an interval to be acceptable? Although I've always been in the change the coolant once at the manufacturer suggested interval then replace when something breaks causing you to have to dump the coolant every time after that camp..

Wow, Prestone has taken engine coolant to a new level. Effectively it could mean original car owners never having to change coolant. Meanwhile, in another Bitog forum some folks are mentioning running water in some of the southern states and California. Go figure. Good scoop by The Critic.

Wow, Prestone has taken engine coolant to a new level. Effectively it could mean original car owners never having to change coolant. Meanwhile, in another Bitog forum some folks are mentioning running water in some of the southern states and California. Go figure. Good scoop by The Critic.
coolants have effectively been lifetime fill since the 90s

ford super plus (dexcool) was the first 10 year spec and the japanese oems followed shortly after

I only see 15 years. In 15 years I will be…. ,fill in the blank. Mine is DEAD. A little unnerving all of a sudden, as everyone someday finds out. There is not going to be 20 years. Other than that, this coolant sounds like the Ultra good stuff.
My dad in the Calif climate when they moved there for his job, would use water and soluble oil. I wonder if anyone has heard of that one as a coolant before.

ford super plus (dexcool) was the first 10 year spec and the japanese oems followed shortly after
There was someone where who manages a fleet and never changed the coolant unless it’s a parts replacement. All GM trucks/vans, all Dex-Cool.

Thr Japanese OEMs introduced phosphated, silicate-free coolants in the 1990s, GM introduced Dex-Cool in 1996. The Japanese stuff has a 3/36K interval for service I think before pHOAT.

ford super plus (dexcool) was the first 10 year spec and the japanese oems followed shortl
There was someone where who manages a fleet and never changed the coolant unless it’s a parts replacement. All GM trucks/vans, all Dex-Cool.

Thr Japanese OEMs introduced phosphated, silicate-free coolants in the 1990s, GM introduced Dex-Cool in 1996. The Japanese stuff has a 3/36K interval for service I think before pHOAT.
“ unless it’s a parts replacement.” Maybe if the guy had a maintenance program he wouldn’t be replacing parts. :unsure: But maybe it makes sense. Dexcool is rated for 5 years but I imagine they will rate it for 10 years soon.

Last edited:
WARNING!! If you add water to PRESTONE PLATINUM CONCENTRATE, be sure and check freeze point before you add to your vehicle.
In my case, it looks like Prestone mistakenly packaged pre-mix in CONCENTRATE containers. Using a Prestone tool, I found the mix had a freeze point of only 0 deg. F. A sample in my freezer did freeze almost solid at 0 deg. F.

WARNING!! If you add water to PRESTONE PLATINUM CONCENTRATE, be sure and check freeze point before you add to your vehicle.
In my case, it looks like Prestone mistakenly packaged pre-mix in CONCENTRATE containers. Using a Prestone tool, I found the mix had a freeze point of only 0 deg. F. A sample in my freezer did freeze almost solid at 0 deg. F.
Umm, you know that pure anti-freeze freezes at 0 deg f, right?

However in this case, the 50/50 mix froze at 0 deg f. Tried other anti-freeze and the mix recorded -30 on gage. Same gage that recorded zero with Prestone. You might ask why Prestone is no longer answering calls.

Back