Prestone HD conventional, Detroit 12.7, 65 mths, 33k miles

Here's our latest used coolant analysis report.

1995 Detroit Diesel 12.7L series 60. Coolant system capacity in 24 gals.

This coolant is Prestone Command (purple cap) HD Coolant pre-charged w/SCA: https://prestonecommand.com/wp-content/uploads/PCMMD-AFCPurple_PA1862.pdf It's a conventional standard life coolant and is ethylene glycol based. It's been in service for 64 mths and 33k miles. Fleetguard WF2131 slow release SCA filter has been in place for 43 mths and 27k miles.

Report looks okay to me, but coolant/water ratio is 46%. To bring it up to 50%+ I'll drain out 3 gals and replenish with 3 new gals of new 100% concentrate NAPA HD sca pre-charged coolant. And maybe another slow release or need release filter soon.

What say you?

cool top.JPG
cool bottom.JPG

I’m curious. I see markers for hardness. I assumed this is from tap water, along with the calcium. That was in the first test.

I’m curious. I see markers for hardness. I assumed this is from tap water, along with the calcium. That was in the first test.
Purchased the vehicle 12/13.

Sample #1 is what came in it from the previous owner. So, who knows???? I do know they were using plane jane automotive Prestone and a SCA charged filter occasionally.

It took me a while to educate myself and initiate a game plan.

In passenger service they seated up to 51 paxs and bassage.
Depends on the config - a transit agency here bought two NYCMTA demo buses without toilets, they seat 55 passengers. Greyhound and NYCMTA are major operators of the Prevost XL3-45. Else, the MCI D4500/J4500 series and VanHool TX45/TD925 rules around here.

Had to Google Prevost http://www.prevost-stuff.com/1996PrevostCCXL_MHS.html That thing is big as a Greyhound bus.
it is a Greyhound bus by a different manufacturer. Most Greyhound were MCI but for all practical purposes it the same size and weight and just as tricked out of a vehicle.. my former employer had13 of these MCI's.. 45 feet, Detroit Series 60, Allison 6 speed.. steer axle in rear
buses 011.JPG

Purchased the vehicle 12/13.

Sample #1 is what came in it from the previous owner. So, who knows???? I do know they were using plane jane automotive Prestone and a SCA charged filter occasionally.

It took me a while to educate myself and initiate a game plan.
I'm not really sure that the purple Prestone Command isn't just standard IAT coolant with DCA-2 mixed in-I just changed over the F-450 7.3 IDI in my sig to the Prestone Command purple & the oldest jug said "formulated with Pencool 2000 technology" on it, which is DCA-2, just like NAPA Cool additive and others. I usually try to keep the DCA level around 2.0, a coolant filter with a small amount of inhibitor every couple years usually is enough.

Back