Prestone green

Back in May 2019 I serviced the radiator on my GM P-30 454w/4L80E also replaced all the hoses and T-stat (Delco 195F). I used the Prestone green. At that time the coolant change interval was 5 years or 150,000 miles. I now see Prestone green is now 10 years or 300,000 miles. Anyone know what has changed with respect to the new coolant. The ingredients appear to be the same including ratios.

They found out it worked great and can stay in for 10 years. Gotta love
Cor-Guard. ( with 2EHA). Although a greenish yellow, it has nothing to do with the old dark green formulations.

7D01FCF4-8F0D-42B1-82E2-9ED47F9D466B.png

Last edited:
Yeah, so that statement still needs some clarification. Because the two coolants aren’t like each other AFAIK.
G48 is an upgrade to the various blue coolants european OEMs used in the 80s. 2EHA is replaced benzoate but it has traditional inorganic borate and silicate additives

G48 is an upgrade to the various blue coolants european OEMs used in the 80s. 2EHA is replaced benzoate but it has traditional inorganic borate and silicate additives
Exactly. Preston blue European does it have silicates. Not sure about borates. So one of these things is not like the other...

What is really needed, is all auto, and bike makers to standardize what they use. One coolant for every car, suv, pickup, motorcycle, and atv. This different colors and brands for different builders, and then even different years in the same builder, its BS.

I think different color Prestone offers under a guise of being OEM equivalent is just a smart marketing ploy to bring in those that insist on using OEM color coolant. If you look at all of their different colors, be it Asian, European or Domestic, they all have core-guard and 2-eha.
I highly doubt these are actually different formulas, but rather their All Make All Models formula disguised as being OEM specific.

I think different color Prestone offers under a guise of being OEM equivalent is just a smart marketing ploy to bring in those that insist on using OEM color coolant. If you look at all of their different colors, be it Asian, European or Domestic, they all have core-guard and 2-eha.
I highly doubt these are actually different formulas, but rather their All Make All Models formula disguised as being OEM specific.

I've stated this before in many forums and multiple threads concerning the MSDS similarity(and not getting an answer from Prestone). So, to avoid trouble, I will only say that "allegedly" the same except the coloring dye!!!
It was smart marketing for Prestone to change the dye color and offer 'other colors' for the 'color' dependent folks...... orange, violet, pink, teal, green, blue, red.... Can't wait to mix some different colors to make a custom color....

What is really needed, is all auto, and bike makers to standardize what they use. One coolant for every car, suv, pickup, motorcycle, and atv. This different colors and brands for different builders, and then even different years in the same builder, its BS.
What goes around might come around? Us old duffers remember going into any auto parts store, drug store, grocery store, etc. and buying "green" coolant for anything and everything. If you had a diesel, you also bought SCA.

coolant.jpg

OEM BMW uses 2-eha as well. So when flushed (intentionally or plastic part failure) and filled with prestone and distilled water, I see it as close enough.

OEM BMW uses 2-eha as well. So when flushed (intentionally or plastic part failure) and filled with prestone and distilled water, I see it as close enough.

It does. But G-48 is a HOAT. Go to the Valvoline/zerex site and look, it will say that G-48 is a “NAP-free HOAT chemistry”.

Prestone is an OAT. Actually a POAT, right?

Here is the data sheet for the concentrated version of the Prestone 10 year. It confirms the presence of neodecanoic acid which for some reason, the pre-diluted product did not mention.

72382B04-9B70-4EBC-AFD3-CBB72E7A99AB.png

Last edited:
So the next question is, “ What about Prestone Dexcool”? Here is the Prestone Dexcool data sheet. They didn’t bother to make up a new sheet with the word Dexcool on it. They just used the Prestone 10 year sheet updated with a 2020 date and changing the listing order of the same chemicals. ( of course the dye is different). To be honest, is does say the exact concentrations are a trade secret. Also included are two screen shots from the 2021 Chevy Silverado owners manual stating that they still use Dexcool but want it changed every 5 years. I’m guessing GM does not want to commit to 10 years yet. Enjoy.

454D77FB-CF08-480D-9F75-42B32DD40F81.png
F0C025FD-39D9-4CDD-8502-637BDC566B50.png
85585220-0ECB-41CB-AA07-5FFB9FACF797.png

Last edited:
Back