Pressure washer trouble dies when trigger pulled

Hey guys.
I have Ryobi 3100psi pressure washer with Honda GSV 190 motor that I got used long time ago. It's always been kind of funky at the begging. Starts good. Sometimes when it doesn't start on first or second pull it'll build up pressure in the line and I'll have to squeeze the trigger in order to be able to start it. Once that happens it'll have to run for a minute or so before I squeeze the trigger without it bogging down. It had an oil leak from the crank shaft pin so I replaced the O ring, checked the valve clearance and changed oil and spark plug. I've started it the other day and it started very well and at idle it ran smooth. But really struggled at first after I pull trigger. It bogged and died multiple times before it got to operating temp. After it warmed up it was running fine. But until then.... Not so fine. I though it was a problem with pressure relieve valve, so I took that out checked (not much cleaning needed) lubed it and put it back in.
Should I mess with the carb or pressure/choke linkage? What else should I look for in those pressure washers? After warm up it runs great! Has power, solid stream, no backfire, trigger responsive without bogging down. Just in the begging a little struggles.

Last edited:
pull the air cleaner and run it in a non dusty environment and see if the choke opens up as expected.

Has the carb been cleaned & rebuild kit?

How much is a new carb?

Used means the PO could have messed with carb or linkage or governor.

Last edited:
pull the air cleaner and run it in a non dusty environment and see if the choke opens up as expected.

Has the carb been cleaned & rebuild kit?

How much is a new carb?

Used means the PO could have messed with carb or linkage or governor.
The only thing that I've done with a carb was just now, I ran it with lots of Techron additive. After getting maintenance done I ran it on regular gas to make sure everything worked okay. And then added (I think maybe a little too much) PEA to "clean" inside a little. I'm going to finish this tank of fuel and check everything maybe give a carb once over.

check the auto choke system

check the auto choke system

That is exactly what I needed! I will go through the steps later today to check mine! Thank you

Could be running a touch lean. Mine fights with the unloader valve when starting... i have to dial it way down to start, then raise it back up once its run for half a minute or so. Do you keep stabil in your fuel?

Could be running a touch lean. Mine fights with the unloader valve when starting... i have to dial it way down to start, then raise it back up once its run for half a minute or so. Do you keep stabil in your fuel?
I do have something like stabil in my fuel. I'm finishing last couple oz of it and will be getting a can of stabil after. In your situation would replacing unloader valve solve the problem?

^^^ my unloader has an adjustment knob, i dont know if they all do. I learned when setting up for storage to relax it and not leave it grrr’d down to max spray pressure. That, and replacing all leaking hoses and wands have helped a lot.

Back