Pressure Washer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I am having an issue regarding having no pressure in my washer. The engine runs perfect and when I attach the hose the water comes out the other side no problem but it when I try to use the wand it only has no pressure. I bought a kit that included new o-rings but didn't know if it could be something else. I appreciate everybody's help!

bad pump, clogged wand.. just off the top of my head.. it could be other things too.

There may be air in the hose. I had a cheapy power washer and I had to install a shut off valve at the end on the garden hose. My "procedure" was as follows.
1. Turn on water and bleed all air out of hose. Turn vale at end of hose off.
2. Connect garden hose to washer (quick connector). Turn valve on.
3. With the power off on the washer, pull wand trigger until all air was out.
4. Turn on washer, which may or may not actually run at full pressure if there was still air in the hoses.
5. Curse.
6. Start "procedure". over again...

Barring that, you may have a leak somewhere allowing air into the pump.

Last edited:
Most machines can handle air in the line, it just goes high and low pressure a few times and then stays high.

I'd suggest swapping hoses and or triggers and or tips. Run without the tip to clear the line. Are you using the low pressure tip made for using the soap injector?

I had similar problems and bought a pressure gauge from Northern and narrowed it down to the unloader.

Pumps can freeze in the winder and/or have parts melt if the pump ran for awhile without the trigger pressed.

The pumps that come with most big box pressure washers are pretty cheap in the first place.

I'm thinking it might be the pump. I used one of those pump fogging sprays that you attach to the hose ends but this was two winters ago when we had really cold weather and I have been to busy (well lazy) to take it apart.

Anybody have any idea how much a pump would go for in a Troy Built (MTD so it must be pretty close to universal.

Under $100. I assume its vertical shaft engine?

Look through PWPUMP.COM as they have lots of info, including the expected life in hours of a given pump. When you decide what you want, they may have the best price or EBAY for the same brand/model. I talked with Dean Crain there.

But you need to match the new pump pretty close to what you have. You are not going to get 5000 PSI @ 10 GPM from a TroyBuilt frame & engine.

They have rebuild kits, and I am going to try one, but keep it as a spare. I think rebuilding only makes sense for an expensive pump.

I have never tried the fogging unit, but you could easily pour in some RV antifreeze down a short piece of garden hose with a funnel. I usually run it dry and then keep it in the basement. No freezing and its mouse protected by my cat Billy.

Last spring I spent a lot of time fixing many pieces of OPE that had mouse damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back