Pressure washer hard start

I tried starting my Simpson 3000 PSI (chonda engine/ OEM Technologies pump) the other day. Hooked up the supply and pressure hose with the wand, turned the water on, and tried starting it. Seemed like the pressure buildup of water was making the engine difficult to turn. When I removed the pressure hose, it started just fine.

Same thing yesterday so I just started it dry and immediately turned the water on. Is something wrong with the pump’s bypass?

Mine does the same thing. Just release the water pressure before restarting so you are not fighting the pump while starting.
I tried that but each pull just created more pressure. I even tried keeping my hand on the wand trigger, but being the first start of the season it wasn’t having any of it.

Reactions: JTK
Each time I run into this issue, and it could be anything from a mower to a generator. My first action is to pull the float bowl and clean it as well as the main jet. 99 times out of a hundred, that fixes things right up.

FWIW I connect the pressure hose and handle to my power washer. I also connect the supply water to my pressure washer and turn on the water. I let it run for several minutes to avoid any air in the system. This also reduces and residual load the supply is placing on the pump. I then turn on the switch, pull the choke and it fires up on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time. If it is worse than this try holding the spray handle open while starting the engine. You might need a helper for that.

Just my $0.02

Same issue. I got a cheap 1/4 turn valve that I put on the inlet side of the washer. I first turn the water on and press the trigger to get water into the pump and out. I turn the valve off and relieve any pressure. I start the pressure washer easily then and immediately open the valve. It's been working so far. You can also get a Velcro strip to hold the trigger open on the wand, it should also relieve the pressure in the pump and allow easy starting.

Could it be the unloader / bypass valve on the pump isn't unloading?

Do you guys let your machines run when not in use/spraying?

I've only used a gas powered PW a time or two and never knew running them with your hand off the wand trigger is a no-no for more than a minute or two for your standard non-commercial rig. The pump runs in recirculation mode and gets hotter and hotter. I know they have thermal bypasses now, but I'm pretty sure you don't want the thermal bypass to ever lift.

I only found this out because I just purchased a gas powered unit. I haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Could it be the unloader / bypass valve on the pump isn't unloading?

Do you guys let your machines run when not in use/spraying?

I've only used a gas powered PW a time or two and never knew running them with your hand off the wand trigger is a no-no for more than a minute or two for your standard non-commercial rig. The pump runs in recirculation mode and gets hotter and hotter. I know they have thermal bypasses now, but I'm pretty sure you don't want the thermal bypass to ever lift.

I only found this out because I just purchased a gas powered unit. I haven't used it yet.
I try not to let mine run without use, but it happens when I’m washing things so I’m not 100% innocent.

I have not felt a difference in pump temp while it’s running and spraying and running without spraying. Sadly the pump isn’t serviceable though.

I try not to let mine run without use, but it happens when I’m washing things so I’m not 100% innocent.

I have not felt a difference in pump temp while it’s running and spraying and running without spraying. Sadly the pump isn’t serviceable though.
Good to know.

I've put endless hours on electric PWs, but have only used gas powered ones a few times and haven't ever had to work on one.

I recently mail-ordered the below unit. I had a $20 off code from walmart due to an order issue I had some weeks ago that dropped it to $279, then some credit card points that dropped another ~$20 off of it. This one also says "maintenance free pump", but the drive end of the pump does have a means to drain and fill oil on it.

Pressure washer

i found it best to Velcro the nozzle “on” during starting. the pump wants to otherwise build pressure until max is hit and the unloader releases, but dang the starter spool could split in two before that happens. The other trick is to drop the pressure knob to 0 when starting, which works on my cat pump.

I really don’t like running them dry or pseudo-dry. The seals are just hard rubber and it won’t take much to score them.

I don’t recall why, but when I’ve rented commercial units they just pull and start without some kind of one-handed nozzle rope dance?

Each time I run into this issue, and it could be anything from a mower to a generator. My first action is to pull the float bowl and clean it as well as the main jet. 99 times out of a hundred, that fixes things right up.
The engine starts just fine without the pressure hose and wand attached. It isn’t an engine issue.

It's not even a problem, it's just how they are. Hold the trigger down on the wand when starting. I've used probably 10 different commercial pressure washers over the years and they all did this. Maybe a cheap homeowner one is small enough but a big high flowing pump will build up too much pressure for you to start it.

I tie the handle open with a small piece of rope with no tip in the wand.
Starts EZ. Let it run a bit, remove rope, insert tip.

Back