Pressure pots and paint sprayers to spray oils

JHZR2

Staff member
And more specifically, adapted for spraying rustproofing materials like oil or woolwax lanolin.

I have one of these in 2.5 gallon size from corrosion-x which was pricy.

CD267D11-FA47-4930-A363-C323588D4DB7.jpeg

Note that there is ONE hose from the tank to the spray gun. So it is pressure fed only. Feed the tank with compressed air, and pressurized oil comes out of the wand attached to the gun.

A paint pressure pot type rustproofing gun comes in a few forms.

2D9AF7F7-762C-4D70-ADB0-000F881D267C.jpeg
D71C5B43-5CCB-4448-9D5D-DBD8071BB9C6.jpeg

Definitely don’t want the upper one, most of my work is done with a vehicle only slightly elevated. The second one is more like my interest, and like what I have. The difference is that it has two hoses, which I don’t really want. Ideally, I’d like to be able to make a second oil spray system out of a used pressure pot and an air blow gun.

A pressure pot looks like this:

14288DA6-1556-4141-A659-358DDCE40B29.jpeg

The system I own, shown at the very top, has one hose, and I think just lacks the “atomizing air” connection. Otherwise it is functionally the same, I think.

a one hose system would use a gun like this:

8C90F78E-8DED-4EB2-9C50-A1547DD4B523.jpeg

While the two hose system needs one like this:

E58C6D1C-F8A9-4844-A083-442123A862E4.jpeg

Which has a connection for material feed and atomizing air.

So, to make something like the unit I have, from the very first picture, is it as simple as running a pressure pot, and capping off the second outlet on the regulator, that feeds the atomizing air line, and then install the simple air gun type handle on the end of the hose?

Is there any reason why that wouldn’t work?

Seems like a system could be made for $100 or so, exactly like I want it, instead of being close to $1000.

Any info or thoughts would be great!

Why do you want to go this route? Aren't the other guns capable of what you want to do or is there a gap that your setup will cover?

I have the fluid film gun from kellsport. It's not the best but does the job for me.

I use this one only in black. It works great with the qt cans of Noxudol or bulk products.

I have the kellsport gun.

That’s not what I’m looking for or want. As mentioned, I don’t want a gun with this style:

0165D607-DE21-4736-AB3B-2C390E422712.jpeg

Which is similar to Kellsport.

I want a single hose to a gun, like the systems shown:

2C3D0D88-7D7C-4108-A872-E4B56601E79A.jpeg

It’s entirely viable; I own one. Just want to make one DIY. Nothing more, nothing less.

I use this one only in black. It works great with the qt cans of Noxudol or bulk products.

Same thing like the Kellsport gun - big tank underneath. Only this one again is $$$ :) The convenience of the single hose and wand with nothing attached is very desirable to me.

To get that style, an airless paint sprayer is also an option, they too disconnect the tank of product from the spray gun, which is what I’m looking for....

353A9F6A-741B-4D2B-99B1-6C6BF89FA277.jpeg

Problem there is I have no idea if it’s viable to use flexible long reach wands.
F8F75421-E63B-468D-A759-96B125BDBE97.jpeg

Same thing like the Kellsport gun - big tank underneath. Only this one again is $$$ :) The convenience of the single hose and wand with nothing attached is very desirable to me.

To get that style, an airless paint sprayer is also an option, they too disconnect the tank of product from the spray gun, which is what I’m looking for....

View attachment 37942

Problem there is I have no idea if it’s viable to use flexible long reach wands.
View attachment 37943
I found using a gun like this with the wands Rust proofing gun , to get into the frame rails. rockers, doors, fenders, etc. followed with my Titan airless sprayer to shoot the bottom, yields great results.

Titan airless might be what I’m looking for... something to get good coverage underneath.

Main thing is that I don’t want the tank hanging off the gun, and ideally only one hose.

I know it can be done. I own one. The question is how to make one DIY.

Last edited:
Back