Preferred conditions to use MMO??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking a 750 mi trip that is at the end of my 4K mi OCI. What is the preferred driving conditions to use MMO in the last 500 mi of an OCI- daily driving that will last over several days, 750/500/100 mi of continuous highway driving [with an unpredictable stop/go traffic]? Which will have the least wear since MMO will thin the oil and clean the inside of the engine?

Thnx.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I'm not using it for the whole OCI, just at the end of the OCI to cleanup any light buildup on an engine with 20K mi.

I've done exactly what you plan to do for years. My father has done it for decades, something he taught me to do. Do it w/o any fear, your engine will stay very clean as a result.

AD

an engine with only 20k should have no buildup if you change the oil enough. but MMO ive heard is good stuff, never personally had a need to use it except for one thing: it sure does make the lawn mower easy to start at the beginning of mowing season if i pour a little in the gas tank before a half year of storage!

Is it better to prevent buildup from occurring with an end of OCI dose, or wait for there to be buildup and put MMO to the test? I am more inclined to run preventive doses and keep things inside cleaner.

I ran MMO for the 500 mi OCI ender, but it was only in the engine for less than a week; I had a couple highway rides that cranked up the miles in a short time. I am thinking that having MMO in the engine at the end of the OCI should be based on time [2 weeks for example] and not miles. Time is harder to plan, but what do you think?

If you start dosing your car with a pint of MMO for the last 500-1000 miles of the OCI you will keep it very clean, especially since your engine has low miles on it to begin with. I've seen the insides of engines treated this way and they were almost spotless with well over 150,000 stop-n-go miles.

During the winter months you can run that pint for the full OCI. MMO suggests using 1 qt in place of 1 qt of oil all the time, I do it on occasion.

Why even give build-up a chance? Good oil changing habits should keep an engine clean in most cases, this hedges the bet.

There is a handful of UOA's with MMO added, tackleberry comes to mind, his was quite impressive.

AD

Last edited:
I've seen engines seized from sludge with 20k miles.
Buildup starts the 1st time you start the brand new engine.
Quality oil and reasonable OCI's are the best ways to keep an engine clean, but they still get dirty.

If you are worried about viscosity, simply substitute one of your oil quarts with the next higher weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back