Predator in place of Briggs I/C 10 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gifted an industrial strength log splitter recently-it has an ancient B&S I/C 10 hp flathead engine on it, appears to have a bad carb & other problems-anybody ever try the Chonda Predator 13 HP in place of these? I'll have to add metal to the base to get it to line up, but the driveshaft appears identical. It'd also be nice to have electric/recoil start instead of a rope!

Personally, I'd fix the B&S in a heartbeat over a Chonda. Tons of on-line parts sources out there, and they're incredibly easy to work on. But I'm sure the retrofit could be made to work, or you could retrofit a more modern B&S (something else I'd do in a heartbeat before spending money on a Chonda).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Personally, I'd fix the B&S in a heartbeat over a Chonda. Tons of on-line parts sources out there, and they're incredibly easy to work on. But I'm sure the retrofit could be made to work, or you could retrofit a more modern B&S (something else I'd do in a heartbeat before spending money on a Chonda).

X2........

Your gonna throw away a piece of gold and replace with a turd !
that's the point of the I/C (especially the old flat heads) they are unstoppable and FULLY rebuildable.
You could have the B&S rebuilt probably for the same price, even if it was more your still WAYYYYY better off.

That being said I would not purchase anything other than a push mower with a modern B&S, they are just plain junk other than the I/C's.

Those old engines are pretty darned easy to troubleshoot. Especially if the carb is adjustable with a screwdriver.

Biggest problem is compression leaking back into the intake & carb, and could use a carb rebuild. Just afraid it might be too old & parts may be obsolete, it's the first Briggs I've seen with a cast block & cylinder, weighs a ton!

Couldn't be THAT old, if it is actually an "I/C" branded model. The I/C brand only goes back to maybe 1980. It could be much older if you were just referring to the fact its a cast iron engine and not specifically an I/C model, which is kinda sounds like since you mention its a rope-start model. Briggs parts are available for pretty much everything they ever made, so that's not an issue. Its really whether you want to fix it or not. But if you don't want it, someone out there probably does. Don't toss it.

I have had good experiences with the Harbor Freight engines. Between my best friend and I we own about 5 of them and haven't had any trouble at all. If you need parts, they can be bought cheap online or parts off a comparable Honda engine will fit.
The overhead valve engines are more fuel efficient, so you will save money in operating costs.
You see a lot of people in my area repowering old wood splitters with them, its usually a pretty straight forward conversion.

If you post the model number of that engine I can date it and spec it for you....

Believe it's a 246831 model number. The shroud is pretty rusty, might not be exactly correct, but it has the "I/C" decal on it-thought with the "stellite" valve ad on the decal, might be late '70s. It does have decent compression, I'm going to have a Briggs dealer at least do an estimate on it before I give up on it.

OK if thats correct it means,
24 CI Displacement
6 Design Series ????
8 Vertical Shaft
3 Splash lube,Flange mount (Gear reduction/Auxiliary drive), Ball bearing (PTO bearing)
1 Rope start

there should also be a TYPE and CODE
the TYPE will tell you original color,goverenerd speed,mechanical parts Id etc. etc.

the CODE will tell you the date manufactured and facility where it was manufactured.....

CODE will be 8 digits, the first 2 are the year than month, than day, than plant it was built in.

I LOVE these old machines and have restored a few (mostly 60's Cub Cadets)and have a few I'm restoring now, I LOVE HISTORY in all forms from political to mechanical.....

I'd for sure keep the Briggs 10hp flat-head for nostalgia purposes (great engine), but for a piece of equipment I want to use regularly, I'd want a more powerful, fuel efficient, smoother and quieter OHV engine on it. They're all good IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'd for sure keep the Briggs 10hp flat-head for nostalgia purposes (great engine), but for a piece of equipment I want to use regularly, I'd want a more powerful, fuel efficient, smoother and quieter OHV engine on it. They're all good IMO.

a 10hp Cast Iron engine from that era would probably be equivalent to a modern alloy 15hp engine......

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: JTK

a 10hp Cast Iron engine from that era would probably be equivalent to a modern alloy 15hp engine......
That was my thought too-Clydesdales vs. Shetland ponies!

#1, I'm not sure that 10hp Briggs flat-head is "cast iron". Pretty neat if it is.

#2, in 30yrs of messing with this stuff (certainly no expert though), an OHV 10hp would kick a stock 10hp flat head's butt in terms of useable power.

Last edited:
B&S still manufactures a 10 hp cast iron block L-Head engine.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sea/en/engines/cast-iron-engines/ic-cast-iron-10-hp
You don't EVEN want to know how much it is
smile.gif

They also manufacture a 16 hp version. They have been making these engines like forever!
You have to order them from overseas. They can't sell them here because they don't meet EPA emissions standards.

Last edited:
The old Briggs is a solid work horse for sure.

The Predator will have more power, better fuel economy, start easier, etc.

Predator has an 8HP and 13HP engine. The 8HP will have similar power to your current 10HP Briggs due to how engines were rated back then to now. The 13HP will have considerably more power than that 10HP Briggs. I'd try the 8HP first, as it should fit your needs just fine.

Don't forget to use a 25% off coupon when you buy the engine. You can find them online and in magazines. You have to look for the 25% over the 20%, but they are out there.

I would like to get one of the new production 16 hp cast iron engines. Is there anyplace to order one online?

Originally Posted By: wag123
B&S still manufactures a 10 hp cast iron block L-Head engine.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sea/en/engines/cast-iron-engines/ic-cast-iron-10-hp
You don't EVEN want to know how much it is
smile.gif

They also manufacture a 16 hp version. They have been making these engines like forever!
You have to order them from overseas. They can't sell them here because they don't meet EPA emissions standards.

An I/C Briggs has a cast iron sleeve. Is this engine a vertical shaft or horizontal shaft?

Personally, I would keep the Briggs. With a little tinkering that I/C engine will outlast the rest of the splitter.

If you want to put a Predator on it make sure you measure the clearances needed for the engine. Many times it will just bolt right in place, but a lot of that depends on how the hydraulic pump is hooked up to the engine.

Well, the Briggs dealer I had look at it was pretty useless, said I had a rusted out carb (?), so I got a 14 HP Predator & spaced with 2 pieces of 3/4" box tubing & longer bolts. It runs fine, but I had a stud pull out of the head for the exhaust manifold, looks like Helicoil time, or another HFT/Loncin engine under warranty. Plenty of power, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back