Pre-owned 2021 Highlander

After almost a week of ownership, I have to agree that the behavior of the 8-speed transmission takes a bit of getting used to, mainly the downshifts when approaching a stop (regardless of eco, normal or sport modes).

I've had to learn/expect to modulate brake pedal pressure after a downshift takes place; it feels like, engine braking --> downshift --> free wheel.
The downshifts in my '22 are almost imperceptible. Up shifts can be a different manner. I don't drive it in any special manner. It's driven in EcoMode .My only complaint are the OEM Bridgestones are complete garbage. On a $40,000 vehicle.....

After almost two weeks of ownership it's beginning to grow on me in spite of being a TMI bomb.

Radar cruise control takes a bit of getting used to; I'm always covering the brake pedal when approaching slowed traffic and the lane centering using RCC takes some getting used to. I just use the "normal" mode most of the time. I can see how self-driving is just a small step away from this.

After almost two weeks of ownership it's beginning to grow on me in spite of being a TMI bomb.

Radar cruise control takes a bit of getting used to; I'm always covering the brake pedal when approaching slowed traffic and the lane centering using RCC takes some getting used to. I just use the "normal" mode most of the time. I can see how self-driving is just a small step away from this.
You can go in to the DIC and turn those off.

I'd have to wonder about a 2020 with 4 previous owners myself. While some have commented that it's not unusual, I'd say it's certainly not the norm. Without a doubt I'd be willing to bet if you sampled used 2020's on a car lot, MOST of them would have less than 4 previous owners. If I really wanted that vehicle, I'd get a thorough inspection by a mechanic. If it gets the green light then maybe I'd buy it. However, if there was another similar vehicle with only 1 previous owner, I'd go for that one for sure. I think the OP made the right choice.

Last edited:
I'd have to wonder about a 2020 with 4 previous owners myself. While some have commented that it's not unusual, I'd say it's certainly not the norm. Without a doubt I'd be willing to bet if you sampled used 2020's on a car lot, MOST of them would have less than 4 previous owners. If I really wanted that vehicle, I'd get a thorough inspection by a mechanic. If it gets the green light then I'd buy it. However, if there was another similar vehicle with only 1 previous owner, I'd go for that one for sure. I think the OP made the right choice.
It's not uncommon here for the dealer to take title of the car-and then it shows up on the Carfax as an owner. I'm not quite sure the motivation behind this, but I have seen it frequently here in Utah.

Two year old vehicle on the used car lot is a red flag as well, unless it's a lease return.
When did Toyota begin the 2021 MY on these? Could easily be a returned vehicle off a three year lease, in which case it's all good.
These are just about all I buy. 1-2 years old, under 20k miles, and drive it into the ground over the next 200k miles. Go find another one. Has worked out perfectly for me. The only two lemons I bought were 1-owner 5-ish year old cars with bad transmissions.

The downshifts in my '22 are almost imperceptible. Up shifts can be a different manner. I don't drive it in any special manner. It's driven in EcoMode .My only complaint are the OEM Bridgestones are complete garbage. On a $40,000 vehicle.....

Specifically, which Bridgestones are you referring to and what gives them the “garbage” label?

Thanks, I know they can be turned off. I want to drive with these features turned on before deciding whether or not to turn them off.
I've driven with it full on on my RAV4 on the highway and it's pretty cool. It can go pretty far on its own, but then it yells at me to keep my hand on the wheel. LOL.

It's not uncommon here for the dealer to take title of the car-and then it shows up on the Carfax as an owner. I'm not quite sure the motivation behind this, but I have seen it frequently here in Utah.
Maybe the dealer was one car away from a bonus goal and titled it to hit the sales goal.

who picks a toyota based on color? they are all good. my idiot neighbor only buys black cars here in florida.
My wife's 2022 Highlander is the Silver/grey. It's almost identical to the paint color on the Hyundai Santa Fe that was traded in. The Highlander was barely used at 8,000 miles. The wife would have preferred something different. But it was a used car with extremely low miles and a Toyota factory warranty.

Found at a Nissan dealer.

Have to visit the dealer service (?) department.

Never dawned on me to try the mechanical keys contained in the key fobs. Both keys in both fobs (they visually appear identical) don't seem to fit all the way into the door lock or the glove box. In fact, insertion is pretty rough. Hence, the lock tumblers don't turn.

The key ID tags did not accompany the fobs/keys so I anticipate this will just complicate matters. Ultimately, I think they'll end up ordering new lock sets with matching keys.

How did this happen? I have a few theories.

who picks a toyota based on color? they are all good. my idiot neighbor only buys black cars here in florida.
If I have a choice... of course I'll buy with a color preference. I dislike black, and had a white car, and I'd only buy either if it was a screaming deal, used--not sure there is any good enough deal on new that I'd buy either color new, if I could avoid it.

Never dawned on me to try the mechanical keys contained in the key fobs. Both keys in both fobs (they visually appear identical) don't seem to fit all the way into the door lock or the glove box. In fact, insertion is pretty rough. Hence, the lock tumblers don't turn.

The key ID tags did not accompany the fobs/keys so I anticipate this will just complicate matters. Ultimately, I think they'll end up ordering new lock sets with matching keys.

They get little use, so it's possible that the tumblers in the locks are gritty? sat too long? That said, my guess would be, they're replacement keys, and the key cutting machine wasn't as good. I picked up a spare for my Corolla and while it works I can definitely tell the difference. I have to believe that a new factory key would slide in easily; I'm guessing my new key has some chatter marks on it. I wonder if your PO lost one fob, got it replaced. Lost the other fob, got it replaced.

Finally found the time to follow up with the local Toyota dealer (via email). Got a call back the next day.

Toyota told me that they can ID and cut replacement keys with just the VIN; they do not need the key tag number.

Cost? $40 each for each blank, $30 labor for cutting.

Hopefully, it's just a key mixup.

Thinking about this, the only scenario that I can come up with is mixed up keys and fobs. When taking in a used vehicle in trade and before resale, someone takes the bunch of fobs, removes the keys to replace the battery. I can see where they have a bunch of fobs/loose keys on a desk (batch processing) and the keys get mixed up - no QC to confirm that correct keys get back to their fobs.

🤷‍♂️

Picked up the new keys this afternoon. After ID and ownership verification, they cut the keys (~10 minutes). The new keys work in the door and glove box. Side by side, the difference between old/new is very subtle.

Back