Pre-owned 2021 Highlander

Had been looking for a Ruby Flame Pearl Higlander for a few months. I think this color is scarce; I don't think many people wanted to pay extra for paint. 🤷‍♂️ Most everything was black or gray with black or gray interior. Not into the monochromatic look.

Found two within 1/2 mile of each other. Chose the one-owner vehicle and passed on the 2020 that had 4 previous owners (red flag). The 2021 is a 3.5L FWD, 42k miles.

I have no idea how anything works on the inside; there's a separate +400 pg manual just for the Navigation and Entertainment stuff. Another +550 pages of Owner's Manual (largely legalese). No wonder no one reads these things. Toyota did include a "quick start" manual. :rolleyes:

I find myself reaching for a key to enter and start the engine. 0W-20 engine oil is un-charted territory for me.

Time to buy a 90-day TIS subscription.

Pretty rare to see a FWD Highlander at least in the newer styles. Especially in that color too. We usually see at least a few that color per week though at the dealership. It’s the same color as my mom’s Camry. Really hard to get them to make a batch of touch up paint for too. I worked on a few Highlanders today one of them was that color and it had running boards so an absolute pain to lift. Lol.

Congratulations

My first three vehicles were all manual. I kept looking for the clutch or shifter in my first auto for a few years before the habit finally died. That habit was harder to break than looking for the key with push button start though.

If 0W20 gives you the bad feels maybe use a higher range 20 like PUP 0W20 @100 8.8 cSt. The top range of 20 is 9.3 so it is a little bit of a thickie boi.

Pretty rare to see a FWD Highlander at least in the newer styles. Especially in that color too. We usually see at least a few that color per week though at the dealership. It’s the same color as my mom’s Camry. Really hard to get them to make a batch of touch up paint for too. I worked on a few Highlanders today one of them was that color and it had running boards so an absolute pain to lift. Lol.
Yeah they are rarer. My mil has two highlanders. A 2.7L FWD and a 3.5L awd. The fed feels so much more agile and willing to move. We all prefer driving it over the fancier, more powerful one.

OP needs to post pics and a detailed review!

4 owners in 3 years? That is the flag.
Two year old vehicle on the used car lot is a red flag as well, unless it's a lease return.
When did Toyota begin the 2021 MY on these? Could easily be a returned vehicle off a three year lease, in which case it's all good.

Two year old vehicle on the used car lot is a red flag as well, unless it's a lease return.
When did Toyota begin the 2021 MY on these? Could easily be a returned vehicle off a three year lease, in which case it's all good.
Many vehicles are getting re possessed because of the missed payments in today's economy. One can always do a dealer check on service and or look at Carfax which is less reliable.

I bought 2022 Highlander with 8,000 miles on it at a Nissan Dealership. They guy wanted a Armada instead. Zero risk -it's under factory warranty. Total miles now is 15,600. No issues.

Your assumption is not correct. Owners change vehicles for a myriad of reasons.

While I don't put much weight in Carfax, I did use it to see a vehicle's previous use, no. or previous owners and where the vehicle was originally sold and driven. Regarding the "red flag" Highlander, here's what the Carfax report reported about the number of owners.

Untitled_24.jpg

Previous use was reported as "personal vehicle". The vehicle was sold and remained in the local area. Read into it what you will. Looks like a lot of mileage put on in seven months (Owner 1 --> Owner 2).

Here are some images of the one we ended up with. It was first sold and driven in Katy, TX before making it's way to CA. It's not from the rust belt, but from hurricane country. There is zero evidence or report of water damage.

20231130_153437_resized.jpg
20231130_153516_resized.jpg
20231130_153701_resized.jpg
20231130_153801_resized.jpg
20231201_110945_resized.jpg

I guess I'm still thinking in old school terms, where disposing of a vehicle after a few months would have been financially ruinous.
By late 2020 we were in a different world and it was and is possible to trade off a car after only a brief period of ownership at little or no cost.
FWIR here in various threads, some people even came out ahead in doing so.

I guess I'm still thinking in old school terms, where disposing of a vehicle after a few months would have been financially ruinous.
By late 2020 we were in a different world and it was and is possible to trade off a car after only a brief period of ownership at little or no cost.
FWIR here in various threads, some people even came out ahead in doing so.
I agree, but the thought is that multiple owners means there is potential for a lesser level of upkeep when compared to a one or two owner vehicle. If people only plan to keep a car for a year or two, what's the motivation to maintain it thoroughly? If there are complete maintenance records to go along with each short-term owner I'd be more inclined to be interested.

After almost a week of ownership, I have to agree that the behavior of the 8-speed transmission takes a bit of getting used to, mainly the downshifts when approaching a stop (regardless of eco, normal or sport modes).

I've had to learn/expect to modulate brake pedal pressure after a downshift takes place; it feels like, engine braking --> downshift --> free wheel.

Back