Prayers or positive vibes for my pupper.

My girl was lethargic on Wednesday and threw up several times over the night. Got her to the vet and xrays, blood work and ultrasound all looked great but she had a fever of 105 of unknown origin. Vet treated for dehydration and temp immediately went back to 101 to 102, normal for a dog. Still wouldn't eat and vet kept her an additional night. Signs of peritonitis (inflammation of the chest cavity) appeared on the ultrasound the next morning and decided to approve exploratory surgery and 20 minutes later got urgent news of a nasty gallbladder infection. The vet, an accomplished surgeon of over 20 years said she had never seen one so bad, it was like it was just melting. Good news is that somehow it didn't affect the liver at all. Vet said the liver enzymes were perfect and was glad the liver wasn't infected. Surgery was successful but she will need a couple more days to be considered out of the woods. Can't wait for to come home.

IMG_2649.jpg

Last edited:
Staying up with a sick pooch is tough. When my dogs wouldn't eat I'd give them a tin of sardines and that perked up their appetites. Don't have a theory about that, wouldn't make me feel better but hey dogs aren't people.

Hope Ivy/chunk recovers quickly!
1638580741492.jpeg

Staying up with a sick pooch is tough. When my dogs wouldn't eat I'd give them a tin of sardines and that perked up their appetites. Don't have a theory about that, wouldn't make me feel better but hey dogs aren't people.

Hope Ivy/chunk recovers quickly!
View attachment 79940
Green tripe gets them eating too. It's a little nasty but it works.

we all love our pups + wish they could outlive us!! gotta be aware of todays dog food as most is garbage especially kibble! government does little to protect humans let alone pet foods, read + learn. good luck

My girl was lethargic on Wednesday and threw up several times over the night. Got her to the vet and xrays, blood work and ultrasound all looked great but she had a fever of 105 of unknown origin. Vet treated for dehydration and temp immediately went back to 101 to 102, normal for a dog. Still wouldn't eat and vet kept her an additional night. Signs of peritonitis (inflammation of the chest cavity) appeared on the ultrasound the next morning and decided to approve exploratory surgery and 20 minutes later got urgent news of a nasty gallbladder infection. The vet, an accomplished surgeon of over 20 years said she had never seen one so bad, it was like it was just melting. Good news is that somehow it didn't affect the liver at all. Vet said the liver enzymes were perfect and was glad the liver wasn't infected. Surgery was successful but she will need a couple more days to be considered out of the woods. Can't wait for to come home.

View attachment 79931
Praying for your dog 🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️🤍💙

View attachment 79931
Sweet Baby. Prayers for Ivy and you.

This happens in humans too... Had a patient who's gall bladder was described like the one in this poor pup... Like it " looked like it was melted". He had a drain placed after it was taken out. Thank goodness he survived all of that.

This happens in humans too... Had a patient who's gall bladder was described like the one in this poor pup... Like it " looked like it was melted". He had a drain placed after it was taken out. Thank goodness he survived all of that.
Exactly. The gallbladder surgery is typically not that big a deal. Its the effects of the bile and infection that gets outside the GI tract. The test for the main bacteria that caused this will be back Monday and until then she is on multiple antibiotics to try and control things. Once we know if it gram negative or positive or whatever else they need to know a more specific plan can be established.
I have crohn's disease and back in 2013 I had a six and a half hour surgery, removing 5 feet of small intestine, with two different resections, and two inches of my descending colon that a fistula had bored into. I lost 100 pounds from the time I got sick till I was back home. I had a drain and iliostomy bag for 7 months so I definitely feel what your friend and ivy are going through.
Thanks to all for the good thoughts and prayers.

Ivy is back home and doing much better. Turned out to be an E coli infection that attacked her gallbladder. Sent home with appropriate antibiotics and various other meds. Hope she doesn't end up hating me for all the nasty pills I have to shove down her throat. Thanks to all for the positive thoughts.

Ivy is back home and doing much better. Turned out to be an E coli infection that attacked her gallbladder. Sent home with appropriate antibiotics and various other meds. Hope she doesn't end up hating me for all the nasty pills I have to shove down her throat. Thanks to all for the positive thoughts.
Glad to hear she is going to be ok! I use cut hotdogs as a carrier for pills for the dog. Use "no nitrates added" hotdogs.
IMG_20211209_211113461.jpg

IMG_20211209_211132936.jpg

IMG_20211209_211147138.jpg

Back