Powerstroke 7.3 Coolant

Might be ending up with an almost free Ford with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, somewhere in the range of 2000, maybe 2001 or 2002, I don't remember. Anyway first order of business will be do change all the fluids as it's been sitting for a long time.

If I recall it has green coolant currently. I'm curious what coolant I should use, I'm going to flush it out completely as best I can.

Initially I was just going to use G-05 so both my vehicles can use the same coolant but then I started thinking about using Peak Final Charge instead? Then I'm like hmmm what would the advantage of the Final Charge SCA-precharged version? And then I got confused, gave up, and came here to ask y'all.

My first diesel ever, thanks in advance for input.

G-05 was bad for plugging oil & EGR coolers on the 6.0, didn't hear about trouble with the 7.3s(?)-plus, SCAs were supposed to be used with the newer PSD engines (although they didn't have the super thin cylinder walls of the older IDI 7.3s). Final Charge doesn't need added SCAs, will likely outlast the engine it's in, and can be recharged if it gets old enough. Just be sure to flush out all the green first. I would use it in my 7.3 IDI, but allegedly the old IH front cover gaskets aren't compatible with ELCs.

I think many are using Shells Rotella coolant in their Ford Powerstroke engines.

I am using Ford orange in my 2015 Powerstroke but you need to add some Ford revitalizer after 60K to 80Knmiles.

I think many are using Shells Rotella coolant in their Ford Powerstroke engines.

I am using Ford orange in my 2015 Powerstroke but you need to add some Ford revitalizer after 60K to 80Knmiles.

Yeah, but I can get a good deal on the Peak Final Charge through work and it sounds like all I'd ever have to do is top it off not keep track of adding additives so I think I'll go with that, thank you all.

2002 came with Gold.
I swapped to Rotella ELC around 150k.
Thats what it had in it when it was stollen at 304k.

IIRC ELC is a 600k coolant with a revitalizer at 300k.
My plan was 300k flush and dump.

If you can get a good deal on Final charge use it. Its the best option for any diesel in my opinion.
Perfect, thanks, yeah it's gonna be the cheapest option, while also being the best option, which is an interesting combination :D

John Deere or CAT will be the best for Diesel. Your engine came with Motorcraft Gold, Zerex G05 is the bargain equal to the gold. Fleet Guard would also work well.

Final Charge is a really good all around coolant. We use it in everything at work and it gets mixed in certain equipment with never any problems.

Here is something I saw today.

3EE0CACC-8A6B-440E-967F-BAC89B32F7D7.jpeg

Final charge likes to leak. In the 7.3s I like traditional green w/scas. Simple and it works. Ive tried a number of elcs in equipment and vehicles, Ive found sticking with the green from zerex works best. if you like chasing leaks on oil coolers etc, by all means go with an elc of your choice.

Back