PowerFoamed My Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I decided to use Amsoil PowerFoam on my Saturn to see if it would result in any driveability improvements. I had previously ran a tank of 87 that was heavily dosed with Amsoil PI, which actually permanently improved the idle and throttle response.

In order to safely feed the PowerFoam into the engine, I removed the 3/8" hose from the brake booster and clamped in half with a pair of slipjoint pliers. This allowed the engine to run at about 1500 rpm. With the engine running, I sprayed the powerfoam into the hose. The can delivered just the right rate of chemical-- engine did not stumble.

I actually did two cleanings.

First attempt: Used 2/3 of a can. No smoke during the injection process. Allowed it soak for 10 minutes, then restarted. Car started on second attempt, all smoke was gone after 2 minutes of holding the throttle at 3000rpm. Test drive showed slight improvement in throttle response.

Second attempt: Used about 5oz. Sprayed the chemical in the same way. However, this time, lots of smoke came out of the tailpipe and there was smoke coming out of the EGR valve. Not sure what was going on, I cut the treatment short and shut down the car. Waited 10 minutes, restarted, and more smoke came out of the tailpipe than the second time. Initially, the idle was very rough, but smoothed out after some driving. No improvement in throttle response compared to the first treatment.

Conclusion? Not sure if this type of treatment is needed in a port-injected vehicle, especially if a potent cleaner such as Amsoil PI has been used. However, the PowerFoam may have cleaned my intake manifold, which has a 1/4" layer of carbon. I'll remove the intake tubing tomorrow to see if the PowerFoam cleaned up the manifold.

Has anyone else noticed very little improvements with these types of "induction cleaning?"

How did you determine you had this 1/4" layer of carbon? I bet you dripped a drop of the stuff on your EGR valve, it could have travelled down the outside of the vacuum hose via surface tension and landed there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
How did you determine you had this 1/4" layer of carbon? I bet you dripped a drop of the stuff on your EGR valve, it could have travelled down the outside of the vacuum hose via surface tension and landed there.

I fully opened the throttle body and peeked inside with a flashlight. The inside of the intake manifold has a rather thick coating of carbon.

As for the EGR, yeah, that's definitely possible. I forgot to mention that I think something may have splashed during the second application, but that still doesn't explain the billowing smoke during the injection process.

Been thinking about doing this to my Saturn (see sig.) since it idles rough, but as soon as I push on the gas, it smoothes right up.

Looking forward to all additional result comments...

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Been thinking about doing this to my Saturn (see sig.) since it idles rough, but as soon as I push on the gas, it smoothes right up.

Looking forward to all additional result comments...

Thanks!

Do your I/M gasket, they get pinched at the #1 cylinder and cause a vacuum leak. You can test this spraying "something" (wd40, carb cleaner, unlit propane torch) down in that vicinity while it's idling.

Critic, did you clean the TB as well or did you leave that alone? I just did mine yesterday on the Neon and it did a superb job on it with one can. Matter of fact I had to power wash my driveway due to the carbon staining. I also got smoke which I expect to occur anyway but I noticed that towards the end of the cleaning process I had to take the rpm's above 4k to get even more smoke/cleaning to occur. IMHO, Amsoil PF is much better than your standard tb cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Critic, did you clean the TB as well or did you leave that alone? I just did mine yesterday on the Neon and it did a superb job on it with one can. Matter of fact I had to power wash my driveway due to the carbon staining. I also got smoke which I expect to occur anyway but I noticed that towards the end of the cleaning process I had to take the rpm's above 4k to get even more smoke/cleaning to occur. IMHO, Amsoil PF is much better than your standard tb cleaner.

I cleaned the TB about a year ago and it is still relatively clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back