Power Steering Hose Sizes

Have a PS leak on my '96 Maxima that I'm repairing-- I'm replacing the pump, pressure hose and return hose.

Couldn't find a replacement molded return hose on Rockauto so I decided to use bulk power steering hose. Even though the stock hose has some curves, it's basically a straight shot. I measured the existing return hose and came up with 5/8". Got my 5/8" hose today and went to put it on and it fits looser than I'm used to for rubber hoses, which usually require a fair amount of effort to get a dry hose on. The 5/8" appears to fit but basically just slides over the nipple with only moderate resistance, not much force required. There's no way a 1/2" is fitting on there. Is there an in between size, 9/16" or metric? Or will clamping the 5/8 hose down tight be good enough? Is there any pressure at all on the return side?

RA only had the common sizes I'm used to like 3/4, 5/8, 1/2, 3/8, etc. Due to location and stuff in the way (very poor design), this is absolutely not a job I want to do twice, need to get this right the first time. Pretty sure I'd rather light the car on fire than work on the power steering stuff again.

Last edited:
If the 96 Max is anything like the 03 Max I had, it is definitely a job to do once. My daughter and I replaced the pressure hose on the ‘03 and it was one of the hardest jobs ever! BTW- Rock Auto has four return hoses listed for a 96 Maxima ranging from 5-10 bucks. The Sunsong one specs 3/8” ID. I’ve used Sunsong brand on other repairs and have not had any issues. Good luck with the repair.

Reactions: JC1
If the 96 Max is anything like the 03 Max I had, it is definitely a job to do once. My daughter and I replaced the pressure hose on the ‘03 and it was one of the hardest jobs ever! BTW- Rock Auto has four return hoses listed for a 96 Maxima ranging from 5-10 bucks. The Sunsong one specs 3/8” ID. I’ve used Sunsong brand on other repairs and have not had any issues. Good luck with the repair.
The four return hoses shown on RA are the same part-- small 3/8 elbows, not the one I'm looking for which is 5/8 (or close) and matches the size of the pressure hose.

I've traced out the whole power steering circuit and I've yet to figure out where those 3/8 right angle hoses would go, perhaps on the cooler which is mounted in front of the radiator where I can't see. Nevertheless all of the 3/8" hoses are easily accessible, so I'm not doing anything with those unless they go bad. It's the 5/8" hoses I'm trying to tackle, so hopefully I never go anywhere near that awful PS pump again.

15mm would be between 9/16 and 5/8 and if you want SAE 19/32 which is pretty much exactly a 15mm. Do you have a have a place near you that would have it? Here we have a place called Roanoke Hose and Fitting they specialize in that stuff I use them all the time. I’d try clamping the 5/8 down first. It maybe just not the best quality and a looser fit.

15mm would be between 9/16 and 5/8 and if you want SAE 19/32 which is pretty much exactly a 15mm. Do you have a have a place near you that would have it? Here we have a place called Roanoke Hose and Fitting they specialize in that stuff I use them all the time. I’d try clamping the 5/8 down first. It maybe just not the best quality and a looser fit.
I’m going to go with Nissan probably used 15mm. Does anyone know if this size is readily available? I’ll call the chain stores when they open, just curious if anyone has gotten ahold of this size easily.

If there is a hydraulic shop nearby, bring the whole hose assembly to them and they can replace the hose part with proper spec hose and crimp it for high pressure back on. Then High pressure test the assembly.

You cannot replace it with regular clamp. It has to be crimped for high pressure.

If there is a hydraulic shop nearby, bring the whole hose assembly to them and they can replace the hose part with proper spec hose and crimp it for high pressure back on. Then High pressure test the assembly.

You cannot replace it with regular clamp. It has to be crimped for high pressure.
I believe this is either the return hose or judging by the size the suction hose.

I believe this is either the return hose or judging by the size the suction hose.
Yes, return hose as mentioned in the OP. I ended up using the 5/8 which didn’t fit as snuggly as I’d like (or I’m used to) but no sign of any leaks thus far. I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Looked into it on the Maxima forum and pretty much everyone has used 5/8 as a replacement with no issues reported.

Last edited:
Back