Power steering fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING: The following are the rambling thoughts of an oil maniac and his tale of changing the power steering fluid. Reader discretion is advised.

Today I changed the power steering fluid of my Renault Clio, the manual doesn't specifies a replacement interval but I thought that 50,000 kms was a good number; the manual calls for ATF Dexron II or Mobil ATF 220. I went to the dealership and played the dumb and asked for "power steering fluid" they told me: "there is no such thing, we use ATF" he handed me a bottle of Renaultmatic D3 Syn, that didn't have any specification approvals or any useful info, plus at $17.00 USD per quart seemed too expensive.

I went into research mode and found that the Renaultmatic is a Dexron III equivalent. So I knew that I needed a Dexron II or III approved oil, but the problem is that the licenses for those no longer exist, and you need to trust in the oil company that the oil passes those outdated specs. The only valid specification is Dexron VI which officially is backwards compatible with the previous specs but in power steering systems some people recommend it and some people don't, including GM for their own systems.

Armed with this information I went shopping, first to Walmart, then to other auto parts stores, and to the Chevrolet dealership. But I didn't find anything that satisfied me. All the ATF that was available was from dodgy/backwater brands that didn't inspire any confidence, some photos below, sorry for the quality, I took them in a hurry since I was expecting to hear: "mommy, why is he taking pictures of the oil bottles?"

5yvypk.jpg

2pyapow.jpg

16idqnt.jpg

t9fn7q.jpg

hvo2t4.jpg

eullxc.jpg

I thought that I could find a better quality Dexron III in the Chevrolet dealership but they only had Dexron VI at a similar price as the Renaultmatic.

By then I was on my way to the Renault dealership when I tried one more store and I found Valvoline Dexron VI ATF at $7.50 USD per quart.
2n82yog.jpg

Now I had two options:

1. Trust in the backwards compatibility of the Dexron specification and use an officially licensed and approved fluid with the latest spec.

2. Pay an outrageous price for the dealership fluid, that, although it is of good quality, it only conforms to an inferior specification.

I went for option number one and I bought 3 quarts of Valvoline, yes, it could be a mistake but only time will tell.

I returned home and removed all the fluid for the reservoir, (0.6 liters from the listed capacity of 1.1 liters) the fluid came out totally black, I refilled with new fluid. Started the engine and moved the steering around, then suction again all the fluid and refill with new once more.
2m7w09w.jpg

The second time that I remove the fluid, it came out black but at least was somewhat translucid, I didn't took a picture because it started to rain once more and I went back into the house, then the power went out and I am writing this in my phone to pass the time.

By my intrepid calculations now I have about 80% of new fluid in the system. In the weekend I will use the remaining fluid to get to 98% of new fluid so it can go for another 50,000 kms.

So: what do you think? Did I make the right choice or it will come back to haunt me?

You mentioned some of the dexronIII you found was from "dodgy/backwater brands" most that you posted I agree with, however typically Quaker state and super tech, are well respected brands.

That being said, you'll likely be fine with what you picked.

7.50? Wow sucks to be in Mexico City, if you have a friend steer while you top off the reservoir, takes about a quart to get complete fresh fluid in there, from the 5 times I did this a row.

But here in the US, I only paid ~4.50ish dollars per quart.

I'd say you did just fine - the viscosities aren't that far apart to begin with, and the theory is that DexII/DexIII sheared down to a thinner viscosity fairly quickly.

If you notice any leaking with the DexVI, you can use any Mercon-V ATF as a DexIII replacement. Mercon-V is still a licensed fluid, so all have to meet Ford's spec. I'd guess you'll be fine with the DexVI, though, and your steering gear will thank you down the road.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
You mentioned some of the dexronIII you found was from "dodgy/backwater brands" most that you posted I agree with, however typically Quaker state and super tech, are well respected brands.

That being said, you'll likely be fine with what you picked.

I agree with you, however, these are the Mexican versions of quaker state and super tech which are completely different animals than their US counterparts. Both are made locally and are tailored to the average Mexican buyer, mostly outdated spec or no spec at all. Maybe the least dodgy is QS because they also make some modern stuff, but I avoid that brand whenever is possible.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
7.50? Wow sucks to be in Mexico City, if you have a friend steer while you top off the reservoir, takes about a quart to get complete fresh fluid in there, from the 5 times I did this a row.

But here in the US, I only paid ~4.50ish dollars per quart.

The difference comes from different taxation schemes (here we pay 16% VAT plus 10% import fee) and the money exchange rate, with that in mind I think $7.50 was a fair price.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You probably burned more than $17.00 in gas being in the "research mode."

Not that much, probably just 2 liters of petrol more over my normal commute.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You made a good choice!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: JJ717
I'd say you did just fine - the viscosities aren't that far apart to begin with, and the theory is that DexII/DexIII sheared down to a thinner viscosity fairly quickly.

If you notice any leaking with the DexVI, you can use any Mercon-V ATF as a DexIII replacement. Mercon-V is still a licensed fluid, so all have to meet Ford's spec. I'd guess you'll be fine with the DexVI, though, and your steering gear will thank you down the road.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Pretty much until yesterday I didn't knew squat about ATF

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
You could probably just use Red bottle Maxlife ATF...

I would have considered but the store only had the one I bought and some CVT fluid.

Quote:
WARNING: The following are the rambling thoughts of an oil maniac and his tale of changing the power steering fluid. Reader discretion is advised.
grin2.gif

I think your PS will do well with the Valvoline D6.

Just keep changing until it clears up.

I find with most of my autos, it takes about a hundred miles or so before the new detergents clean out the crud.

Last edited:
I've had great results with the universal synthetic tranny fluids like Maxlife in my power steering systems.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
grin2.gif

I think your PS will do well with the Valvoline D6.

Just keep changing until it clears up.

I find with most of my autos, it takes about a hundred miles or so before the new detergents clean out the crud.

Yes, and I have also seen Dexron VI work extremely well in power steering systems that use Dexron III.

I used it in some Toyota models.

I used the CarQuest brand which is made by Valvoline, so if you choose Valvoline, it will work well for you.

There are numerous cars which don't leave the factory with red power steering fluid, but call for some type of automatic transmission fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back