Power Leaf Mulcher, Rake, Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to take care of my mother-in-law's yard which has a large number of big trees that put off an enormous amount of leaves in the fall. It seems nobody is happy until I mulch all the leaves. My riding mower just does not do the job. Can anyone recommend some kind of power mulcher, or power rake, or anything that might make the job easier, without "breaking the bank". Thanks!

Change the blade on the mower to a mulching blade.

If possible, get the mulching kit, which include a "plug" or blanking plate for the grass chute.

What is your objective?

Do you have woods to blow them into with a backpack blower?

Also remember 50 lbs of mulched leaves is the same weight as 50 lbs of leaves packed tight.

I just need to mulch the leaves and scatter them back on the lawn. I have no other place to put them.

What kind of riding mower? Deck size? Blades used? How large is the lawn?

My John Deere was horrible at mulching leaves until I switched to the Oregon Gator blades. It is now much better, and if I go over them a few times they completely disappear.

My favorite mulching tool is my Toro recycler mower though. One pass and it chops the leaves up to a fine powder.

I would see if they make a mulch kit for your tractor. You can look up the model on partstree.com and it will give you diagrams for your machine. I would try a mulch plug and some mulching blades or gator blades. Regular blades without a mulch kit will just blow the leaves everywhere and make a mess.

I would say bagging is the best option but you mentioned having nowhere to put the leaves. I think a mulch kit is the best option for your scenario. Do you mulch the leaves a few times during the fall or wait until all the leave are down? I've found that doing it a few times is MUCH easier than waiting until they are all down.

If you want, post the model number of your machine and I'll see what I can find.
thumbsup2.gif

jeepman,

The mower is a 2013 Cub Cadet LTX 1042 KW. I can probably find a mulch kit for the machine, but I would appreciate your opinion as to the best combination of blades/plug for the mower. I will only be using the kit for leaf mulching, not grass mulching. I also try to mulch the leaves several times rather than just once. Thanks for your help and advice.

Originally Posted By: Wingman
jeepman,

The mower is a 2013 Cub Cadet LTX 1042 KW. I can probably find a mulch kit for the machine, but I would appreciate your opinion as to the best combination of blades/plug for the mower. I will only be using the kit for leaf mulching, not grass mulching. I also try to mulch the leaves several times rather than just once. Thanks for your help and advice.

No problem.

Here is a complete mulch kit with mulch plug and Gator blades that will fit your tractor. The listing says the kit is for 2010 and newer Cub Cadet LTX1042 machines with the 42" deck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-CUB-CADET-G...=item2c87b6b69f

Thanks, jeepman. I am going to order a kit and try it out. It should make my fall clean-up a lot easier. Thanks again for your advice and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back