Poulan saw bar oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

Just purchased a Poulan Pro 16" reconditioned saw from E-bay.Pretty happy with it.Only thing is it really uses a lot of bar and chain oil.Is there an adjustment for this or am' I stuck with it?

My father owns a Poulan 18". I noticed the same thing, when I used it on his trees. I never found an adjustment on his saw for bar oil. I believe the automatic oiler oils according to saw RPM.

Workaround: I bought him a gallon jug of Wal-mart brand SAE 30 Bar and Chain Oil, on the cheap.

I looked at the owners manual didn't notice anything.It causes the saw dust to really stick in the nooks and crannys.I will say very suprised how good it runs.I have the same jug also.May even tempted to use some used oil from my oil changes,and some Trop Artic I have laying around from autos past.

The oiler are usually set for a certain viscosity oil, usually thicker bar oil with tackifiers. If you use thinner stuff (old motor oil etc) they'll go through oil a lot faster, make sure it doesn't run dry. Top off every time you re fuel.

The multi-viscosity oil you use in your car will sling off like crazy, because it doesn't have tackifiers added. I'd have to advise against it.

Have owned two Poulans and both have auto oilers. Agree w/OilNerd, just buy a Gallon of cheap Bar and Chain oil and go at it. Unless you are using the saw extensively on a daily basis (and if you are, you should probably have bought a Stihl) you probably will not use a lot of oil (I bought a gallon 8 years ago and still have 5/8 of a gallon left.) The Poulan is a homeowners grade saw and if you use it as such, oil usage is minimal (it is messy, however.)

With the specified bar & chain oil in my Poulan 16", my experience is roughly two tanks of gas for every tank of chain oil (might be different for other models).

Maybe the feed hole was enlarged during reconditioning.

Check to see if there's a cover plate over the oil feed mechanism on the bottom of the saw. My Echo 346 has one that allows access to the oil feed system to adjust oil flow. The 346 is a commercial grade saw and wasn't cheap. That may be why it has the feature. I also have two older, big Jonsereds saws that have bar oil adjustability.

By the way, for your information, the 100 series Husqvarna saws are re-badged Poulans..

I have a Stihl 029 that can be adjusted.I took the Poulan apart today and didn't see anything that looked like would reduce the oil flow.I had it on the plywood floor of my out building and rev'd it up.It really slings the oil.I guess I'm stuck with it.The owners manual says not to use waste oil.Anyone think it's ok to use used oil ?It does cut and run good.Happy with it inspite of the oil useage so far.Thanks

I don't like to use waste oil for anything but starting camp fires on wet days.

If you use a summer grade bar oil, chances are that oil supply will be reduced. That stuff is very sticky and thick.

I guess for $89 I can live with it.I will be using it a lot the next month or 2. Hope it holds up.The cheapest by the gallon bar oil I've found is $6.97 @ Walmart.Anyone know of any cheaper? Thanks

Check Big Lots. Whatever they happen to have is usually the cheapest in town. Might even find a great deal on PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back