Poulan repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a used poulan "wild thing" leaf blower on the cheap because it stopped running. PO thinks its a carb issue. Well I stripped it down and everything looked good except a cracked bulb primer; replaced the primer, fuel lines and fuel pick up as well as the spark plug (gapped!) and cleaning the carb out. Carb looked good and gaskets were in good shape, even the diaphragm had no pin holes visible. It gets spark. It won't start.

Primer will prime, and excessive starting attempts results in fuel coming out the intake. Plug appears to show spark when tested. Ideas? I did order a carb kit as I figure maybe its something you can't see with the naked eye, but otherwise I'm stumped.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Picked up a used poulan "wild thing" leaf blower on the cheap because it stopped running. PO thinks its a carb issue. Well I stripped it down and everything looked good except a cracked bulb primer; replaced the primer, fuel lines and fuel pick up as well as the spark plug (gapped!) and cleaning the carb out. Carb looked good and gaskets were in good shape, even the diaphragm had no pin holes visible. It gets spark. It won't start.

Primer will prime, and excessive starting attempts results in fuel coming out the intake. Plug appears to show spark when tested. Ideas? I did order a carb kit as I figure maybe its something you can't see with the naked eye, but otherwise I'm stumped.

Shot rings? Ran with insufficient oil? Carb could be flooding.. Take plug out for a few days, reinstall and try starting w/o primer or just 1 press.

I've pressed 10-15 times and never had problems except a sore arm. Start with a few primes?

Well never mind this thread. After removing the shrouding it became obvious the head is loose on the block. Removing the head and the ring is split. Piston isn't perfect but probably reusable. I'll check parts pricing but this little fun project probably just ended!

I had one of those. Had the attachments to make it suck and bag leaves. used it so much I wore out the engine. Go to a ope shop. They should be able to order parts.

Hey guess what. New head gasket and new ring and it fired right up! We'll never know if the ring is gapped right, but that's ok.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Hey guess what. New head gasket and new ring and it fired right up! We'll never know if the ring is gapped right, but that's ok.

If it doesn't slow down and bind up when hot, the ring gap is not too small. If power is good ring gap is not too big.
smile.gif

Seems to bog when warm if i go to open choke but runs great at half choke otherwise. Must need a slight carb tweak but otherwise runs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back