Poulan 5020 Chainsaw not Husqvarna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a really nice Poulan 5020 chainsaw at the Pawnshop for $50. It was nice condition, but little to no compression. I tore the exhaust port off and seen the ring was broken. I never rebuilt a chainsaw but I thought this one is a good candidate. I tore that that chainsaw done to nothing. Removed the piston. Cylinder looks good yet. No chafing. Ring is broke as predicted. $7.68 for a piston kit. No where did I see a Husky sign or stamp. I know the consensus is they are rebadged Husqvarna. They are not. Maybe similar but no Husky stamps. Iam here to say it's a rumor. No Husky parts, probably Chinese assembled in USA.

I think a few of the older- larger no longer produced saws may have been.

20 years ago, I had a poulan timbermaster 3500 3.7cubic inch saw that would just rip, fantastic power. I should have kept it and rebuilt it. I suspect it might have been a husky but i don't know. I doubt the current saws are husky.

My dad bought a new poulan back in the early to mid eighties, poulan i think was its own company then, that saw was around 69cc and an absolute beast. He still has that saw and it runs amazing .
on a side note the saw is metal no plastic what so ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom
My dad bought a new poulan back in the early to mid eighties, poulan i think was its own company then, that saw was around 69cc and an absolute beast. He still has that saw and it runs amazing .
on a side note the saw is metal no plastic what so ever.

Mine had some plastic and was an early antivibe model. None of the later saws are as large as the ones you and i are talking about.
I have not seen or used any recent poulan that cuts like the saw you or i are talking about. I do wonder if they were husky, only a repair tech familiar with those will know.

I am thinking about large saw, as i currently only have an echo cs-450. Good saw but not powerful for larger stuff.

I'd like a 70-80cc saw.

Last edited:
A saw of that size you would mostly be looking at a sthil. And that will cost you a small fortune.

I remember when the old man first got that saw the big poulan, our neighbour the next farm down from us was a big johnsreds fan was over and he got picking on my dad about the poulan and that it couldn't hold a candle to his saw, so the old says to him fire it and try it out!! well after ripping through a log of iron wood he said there no way that saws is 69cc his big saw was 85cc and to him the poulan was every bit as powerfull. he was so impressed with the power and torque of the poulan he went out and bought one for himself.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So I bought a really nice Poulan 5020 chainsaw at the Pawnshop for $50. It was nice condition, but little to no compression. I tore the exhaust port off and seen the ring was broken. I never rebuilt a chainsaw but I thought this one is a good candidate. I tore that that chainsaw done to nothing. Removed the piston. Cylinder looks good yet. No chafing. Ring is broke as predicted. $7.68 for a piston kit. No where did I see a Husky sign or stamp. I know the consensus is they are rebadged Husqvarna. They are not. Maybe similar but no Husky stamps. Iam here to say it's a rumor. No Husky parts, probably Chinese assembled in USA.

The manufacturing relationship between Poulan and Husky is very confusing. I spent a few minutes over at Arboristsite.com and it will take someone else a few more minutes than I wanted to expend in order to figure this out. I was under the impression that some of the very low end Husky's are rebadged Poulans, but not vice versa. None of the Poulans are rebadged Huskies, but they "might" share some of the same technology.

In the mean time, I'm lovin this model:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
At one time Electrolux owned both Husky and Poulan. Some of the Poulan Pro models were based on Husky parts internally and yellow plastic moldings instead of orange. Homeowner saws were always Poulans designs.

Some of the homeowner Husky's were sharing parts with some Poulan models. I have a 50cc stratocharged Poulan that is based on a Husky design...

There are "big bore" kits for most Poulans. They are often more cost effective than buying an OEM cylinder and piston. I have a 42cc kit in a 36cc Poulan
laugh.gif

These saws are oil sensitive. Try to run them on 50:1 and they will slowly loose ring tension and compression. Run them on 42:1, or richer, and they run a long time. In the woods blue smoke is good, always was, still is
smile.gif

When you tune the carb high speed jet ( H ), make sure to go for max RPM and then 1/8 richer. DO NOT try to run one in the wood with the carb leaned out for max RPM w/o load, you'll loose a piston/rings quick.

Ideally, any chainsaw should be just on the verge of 4-stroking as you approach the log/tree. It should clean up and be running strong as the load comes in ...

All these modern saws are somewhat resticted in the exhaust. you will often find a screen and small hole at the muffler outlet. It's easy enough to drill out the discharge hole and put the screen back in.

Also, if you look into the muffler, you will usually see a port pipe with a 1/2 dozen holes to feed the muffler out of the engine. I usually drill another 1/2 dozen. It'll take a sharp pointed drill to bite into the sheet metal at an angle, but it will work
smile.gif

With the exhaust mods, you'll have to tune the crab from scratch...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

It never was a rebranded husqvarna. They have the same parent company. Some products are the just rebrands and some have no similarity at all. They used to be owned by a vacuum cleaner company.

I like the green since every 3 years I set one at the curb - gets spotted quickly and leaves my life ...

A few years back I bought a Poulan Pro from Canadian Tire, it said on the box 'built by Husquvana. It's been a great saw for the money.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I like the green since every 3 years I set one at the curb - gets spotted quickly and leaves my life ...

I would not own any of the newer ones.

I ve had a green model since I moved to Florida 14 years ago and it's still running and I seriously abused it. I always see beat up Wood Sharks still running. I think the yellow Poulan Pro' s are the garbage. Which is funny because the Green are for homeowners and the Yellow are supposed to be for serious woodsman.

Poulan is really [censored]. The rule when buying a chainsaw is the classic question: "do you service what you sell"

You *never* find a Pouland dealer that actually works on the [censored] things. Stihl, and Husqvarna have service departments. Meaning they have spare parts on hand.

I find Pouland's at big box stores. If I broke my saw in the woods this afternoon, I doubt they would even have the right part, and I cannot imagine them ordering the part!

Husqvarna/Stihl I would be back in the woods tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Poulan is really [censored]. The rule when buying a chainsaw is the classic question: "do you service what you sell"

You *never* find a Pouland dealer that actually works on the [censored] things. Stihl, and Husqvarna have service departments. Meaning they have spare parts on hand.

I find Pouland's at big box stores. If I broke my saw in the woods this afternoon, I doubt they would even have the right part, and I cannot imagine them ordering the part!

Husqvarna/Stihl I would be back in the woods tomorrow.

If a Poulan breaks, you can be back cutting again in an hour because you just throw it away and go buy a new one.

They're not meant for people who use a chainsaw all the time and who can fix it when needed. They're meant for your typical homeowner who might use it a handful of times a year at the most, and most likely has no clue how to fix it. Usually they don't even break, the carb gets gummed up from sitting with old gas in it. Then it won't start so it gets thrown away and replaced with a brand new one.

Over the past summer I bought a Poulan Pro 18 and it lasted maybe two months with very little use. Ran like [censored] the entire time. Luckily, Lowes took it back and I bought a Husky Rancher 450. Night and day difference so far. I was really bummed with the Poulan Pro. It replaced a Poulan wood shark that was probably 25 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back