Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

I looked way down the pages for another post like this and came up with nothing... so here we go.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
318 cdi.

out: a two year old mix of who knows what.

Water flush only.

In: 3gal O'reillys extended life universal formula.

04 explorer around 100k
out:factory fill

flushed with water and prestone flush.

in: prestone all makes all models 2 gallons + 2 gallons water(from a hose!)

04 f150 around 130k
out: factory fill

flushed with prestone flush and water

in: prestone all makes all models 2 gallons+ 1 1/2 gallons water(from hose)

2001.5 Pathfinder at 121,645 miles on February 27th, 2011
Out: Genuine Nissan coolant, about 30k old. Dealer flushed @ 90k
Radiator drain & fill
In: 50/50 Genuine Nissan + distilled water (1 gallon each)

Overflow reservoir had a lot of sediment in it. I flushed that using one gallon of distilled water by bringing its hose lower than the reservoir.

03 Ford Focus
Out: Zerex G-05 (I drain the rad every 30k)
In: 50/50 Zerex G-05 + distilled

89 Toyota Camry
Out: Who knows what...(rad replacement)
In: Zerex G-05 + distilled

89 Honda Accord
Out: The rustiest nastiest looking coolant on earth
In: MULTIPLE flush solutions (Preston flush and heavy duty rad cleaner) + distilled. Rinse and repeat. On my 6th drain and refill + one power flush with a hose. This is going to be the last cycle before I put coolant in. Zerex G-05 will be the coolant.

Since coolant requirements may (and most likely are) extremely critical to engine construction (i.e aluminum and/or iron), waterpump seals, and other cooling system components as reflected in manufacturer's coolant specs, I'm wondering why you post this inquiry.

A proper coolant selection is based on specifics of the application, not on popularity or consensus reflected in a poll.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Since coolant requirements may (and most likely are) extremely critical to engine construction (i.e aluminum and/or iron), waterpump seals, and other cooling system components as reflected in manufacturer's coolant specs, I'm wondering why you post this inquiry.

A proper coolant selection is based on specifics of the application, not on popularity or consensus reflected in a poll.

imnot sure but maybe its just a thread to brag about taking care of our cars and im ok with that
smile.gif

I'll most likely drain the old coolant out....Green SuperTech....and run a couple of fills of distilled water....drain and fill with a 50/50 mix of SuperTech Antifreeze/Coolant and distilled water.

I've been using the SuperTech for the past few fills....and no problems to report.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark

I'm sure most oems would say the same for engine oil.

Making a sound choice for your coolant selection is not that hard, and in most cooling systems there's more than one brand/coolant type sufficient for protection and system durability.

Note: many cooling system failures have still occurred while
following oem recommendations.

Plus it's another reason to visit the site.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I'll most likely drain the old coolant out....Green SuperTech....and run a couple of fills of distilled water....drain and fill with a 50/50 mix of SuperTech Antifreeze/Coolant and distilled water.

I've been using the SuperTech for the past few fills....and no problems to report.

IMO....The WalMart SuperTech Cooant is the same as the PEAK long life Coolant. Looks the same and performs the same.

Last summer, I drained the old green out of the Jeep (the one in my sig), flushed it with lots of distilled water, and refilled with G-05. Seems to have broken some stuff loose in the system, as the coolant is getting a bit cloudy, so I'll do it again in a couple of weeks.

Flushed the nasty dex-clone / green slop out of my Mom's 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0 with distilled water and replaced with G-05 a few months ago. Definitely going to flush that one again.

I prefer to use factory fill-

1)'02 Escape - radiator drain 'n fill with Peak Original Green formula/distilled water
2)'06 Fusion - radiator drain 'n fill with Motorcraft Gold (aka: Xerex G-05)/distilled water

04 F150 Zerex G05
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Prestone Green
07 Suzuki 450 EFI Prestone Green
02 Kubota BX2200 tractor Prestone Green
Coming up soon.... 06 Honda Odyssey w/165k mi; Not sure which flavor I will use yet...probably will just take the safe road and get an Asian formula.

3 gallons of the ShellZone 50/50 Dex Cool, with 2 bottles of the DEI Radiator Relief (with corrosion inhibitors), topped up the overflow tank with distilled water.

New Jegs (I think that they are made by Samco) black silicone radiator hoses, and a new MotoRad 180* thermostat/housing and gasket, new Delco 18psi radiator cap.

All of this AFTER adding a radiator flush, and then a FULL flush of the whole system, of course.
wink.gif

'92HO jeep cherokee

drained, prestone flush & water , water flush again, filled with PEAK 50/50 long life pre-diluted green

229,300miles on the ticker... whoop whoop

Last edited:
Back