Post your engine development history

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Found this really neat article on the S62 when I was searching for the stock valve spring pressure and it inspired me to start a thread about it. Some engines have a whole lot of engineering put into them, far more than most probably think. GM's LS7 is one I'm sure that will be impressive if somebody has a copy! As is I'm sure Ford's 5.0L Road Runner engine.

Post them up if you have them! I'll start:

http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=930

Quote:

S62

The high-performance S62 was made for the E39M5 and E52Z8. It is a 4.9 L (4,941 cc (301.5 cu in)) V8 engine and is based on the same architecture as the regular aluminium block 4.4 L BMW M62 powerplant found in the E39 540i. BMW Motorsport (M) Division has extensively modified the engine for increased power and torque.

Previous M5 engines were assembled at M division headquarters in Garching, Germany but the S62 M5 engines were assembled at the Dingolfing assembly plant.

The M5's engine starts with an aluminum and silicon alloy Alusil. Cylinder linings are etched after honing to promote oil retention and reduce friction. The S62's V8 block shares the M62's basic architecture but with 94.0 mm (3.7 in) cylinder bores compared to the M62's 92.0. The stroke is increased from 82.7 mm to 89.0 mm (3.5 in) significantly improving torque. This results in a displacement of 4,941 cc (301.5 cu in). The cylinder centers are 98.0 mm apart, leaving only 4 mm of block surface between cylinders. For effective sealing with this tight cylinder spacing, BMW M engineers developed new 3-layer steel head gaskets to help ensure isolation of gasoline, oil and coolant.

Based on the cylinder heads used in other BMW V8's, the M5's heads are re-jacketed for cross-flow cooling, as is customary in M division engines. The intake side of the heads also gets coolant passages. Valve adjustment is not needed, thanks to hydraulic lifters, as fitted on the US spec. E36M3 inline-6. This is the first European-market M car to use hydraulic lifters.

The air induction system is also unique to the S62. Air is taken in at two points behind the front bumper, passes through two intake silencers and two hot-film air-mass meters, and then flows into the voluminous plenum atop the engine. From there, air courses through 230-mm intake runners (including the throttle housings) to the individual cylinders. The entire assembly of plenum and runners is attached to the throttle housings via a rubber/metal flange (one per bank) that acoustically and thermally decouples the plenum from the engine itself thereby keeping the air charge cooler before it passes into the cylinders.

Admission of air to the cylinders is not through a typical "throttle body," but through eight individual throttle butterflies (each 50 mm or 1.97 in. in diameter), one for each cylinder. Individual throttles are a very costly feature and previous large M six cylinder engines powering the M1, M5 and M6 models, all had this feature. However, the S62 is the first BMW engine with electronically actuated individual throttles. Positioned much nearer the cylinders than a single throttle can be, these throttles eliminate air flow "lag times" significantly improving throttle response. Each throttle operates in its own housing, mounted directly above the intake port. The electronic throttle linkage (a "fly-by-wire" system) is actuated by two potentiometers as the driver depresses the accelerator. The driver accelerator inputs are processed by the engine control module and received by a DC servo motor between the cylinder banks. Through a small gearbox, this motor drives a shaft that in turn drives a link to each bank rotating the four throttle butterflies of that bank. These two links rotate the two throttle shafts, connecting via ball joints at cylinders 3 and 6. From these points, the other three throttles of each bank are opened and closed in unison. The servo motor reacts to any pedal movement in 120 milliseconds, so the driver perceives no lag time – only instant throttle response. The M Driving Dynamics Control System, controlled by the Sport button on the dash, provides two settings for throttle response: Normal mode and a quicker Sport mode. In the Sport mode, throttle response is more immediate and linear. In the non-Sport or Normal mode, throttle tip-in is softer and more languid. Additionally, the throttles of cylinders 4 and 8 also have their own feedback sensors to monitor the throttles' operation. If a fault is recognized, the system switches to one of four "limp-home" modes that can allow operation at up to 100 km/h.

BoschMotronic port fuel injection is utilized. Fuel pressure, at up to 5 bar (72.5 psi), varies according to need. The fuel regulator is also plumbed into the fuel filter. Excess fuel delivered to the filter/regulator returns directly to the fuel tank without passing through the fuel lines to the engine compartment and fuel rails. This keeps the excess fuel unpressurized, which thus keeps fuel heating to a minimum.

The S62 is BMW's first V8 engine equipped with Double VANOS; a system that steplessly varies the timing of both intake and exhaust valves of both cylinder banks. The VANOS acronym refers to variable cam control or variable valve timing which in German is VAriable NOckenwellen Steuerung. While current BMW 2.5 and 2.8 L 6-cylinder engines also have the Double VANOS system, the 4.4 L M62 V8 has a Single VANOS system that steplessly varies only intake valve timing. Double VANOS is employed for the first time on a BMW V8 with the introduction of the S62 engine. In addition to enhanced low to medium engine speed torque, the advantages of VANOS include:
Reduced unburned hydrocarbons during idling
Smooth idling
Internal exhaust-gas recirculation at low speeds for improved control of oxides of nitrogen (NOx)
Quicker warm-up of the catalytic converters after a cold start with reduced emissions during this operational phase
Reduced combustion noise
As on other BMW engines, the VANOS mechanisms are located at the front of the cylinder heads. The 100 bar (1,450 psi) of hydraulic pressure used to actuate VANOS is produced by two dedicated oil pumps; one for each cylinder head. Valve timing is varied over a range of 60 degrees in terms of crankshaft rotation with a wider adjustment range than that of other BMW engines.

The S62 has its own unique electronic control unit (ECU) manufactured by Siemens (designated MSS 52) which oversees:
Basic engine functions
Electronic throttle system (including cruise control)
G-sensitive lubrication system
Thermal oil-level sender
Variable tachometer warning zone
Catalytic-converter protective functions
Double VANOS variable valve timing
Maximum engine speed (7000 rpm)
M Driving Dynamics Control, which provides two settings for the throttle system and power steering.

A forged five-main bearing crankshaft with counterweights receives Mallory metal plugs for extremely fine balance. Connecting rods are forged as one piece. The caps are then fracture split for the best possible fit when being installed. Balancing pads are also placed on both small and large ends of the rods.

Piston design is unique to the S62 motor. For optimum power output, the engineers designed specifically shaped cutouts in the piston crowns for the intake and exhaust valves. This requires a different piston design for each cylinder bank, rather than the usual identical design for all pistons. The pistons are fitted with valve reliefs, and each is cooled by two upward-firing oil jets per cylinder. The oil jets are indexed to oil pressure; when pressure reaches 2.5 bar (36.3 psi), they begin operating. This level of oil pressure is a good indication of higher-than-average load and rpm. Oil cooling is provided by two separate oil passages in the crankcase. The compression ratio is 11.0:1, 10% higher than for the 4.4 L V8 and thus contributing to the engine's high power and torque output.

Given the 45 degree cant (from vertical) of the cylinder banks and the M5's cornering capability of over 1g, natural return of oil to the sump might have been inadequate during extreme cornering. Thus the M engineers devised a unique system to ensure effective engine lubrication at all times. In addition to the main oil (pressure) pump, there are two scavenging (suction) pumps, one for each cylinder bank. In normal and light cornering conditions, oil from the heads and main bearings flow back into the semi-dry sump at the rear of the engine via the two suction pumps. In hard cornering (0.9g or more), the Dynamic Stability Control system's lateral-g sensor switches magnetic valves to reroute oil extraction points to alternate locationsthe outer sides of the heads and sump—preventing a backup of oil collecting in the outside of the head thus avoiding potential oil starvation. This system remains active even if the driver switches off the Dynamic Stability Control.

The oil level (sump capacity of 7 litres) and temperature are monitored by a thermal sensor. A warning appears in the Check Control display if the oil level falls below a certain point. An oil-temperature gauge replaces the fuel economy gauge in the tachometer face. Oil is cooled by a coolant-oil heat exchanger.

The V-8's two cylinder heads are modified to provide efficient coolant flow across the head and the coolant passages are enlarged. Coolant is circulated by a larger water pump with a capacity of 380 liters per minute (83.6 gallons/min). Improvements in radiator efficiency negated any reason to enlarge it for the M5.

Other significant features of the cylinder heads include hollow camshafts of nodular cast iron for reduced inertia and long life. The S62's 35 mm intake and 30.5 mm exhaust valves are shared with the M62 engine, but valve timing is specific to this engine. The intake cam profiles yield 10.32 mm (0.406 in) valve lift and 252 degrees total duration and the exhaust cam profiles yield 10.2 mm (0.402 in) lift and 248 degrees duration, with Double VANOS shifting their timing to vary overlap. As in other current BMW V8 and 6-cylinder engines, the valves are actuated by no-maintenance bucket-type hydraulic lifters.

In place of the M62 engine's simplex roller chain driving both intake camshafts, the S62 employs a heavier-duty duplex (double roller) chain driving each intake camshaft. As in the M62, two secondary simplex (single-roller) chains then drive the exhaust camshafts from the intake camshafts.

Exiting the engine through double-wall stainless-steel exhaust headers (as on the M62 engine), exhaust gases then flow through one tri-metal catalytic converter per cylinder bank. There are four oxygen sensors: two ahead of the converters and two behind. A pressure-equalizer balance pipe connects the two exhaust streams behind the converters, enhancing low-speed torque and contributing to the engine's wonderful exhaust note. Aft of the catalytic converters, the full dual exhaust system includes two resonators and four mufflers that end in four stainless-steel outlets.

The variable tachometer warning zone innovation reminds drivers that a cold engine (especially a high-performance one) should be treated with care. When the engine is first started, the tachometer's warning zone (indicated by orange LEDs) begins at 4000 rpm. As the engine warms, LEDs are extinguished to lift the limit in increments of 500 rpm until the warning field begins at its normal 6500 rpm. The actual rpm limit is 7000.

The S62 engine produces 294 kW (400 PS; 394 hp) at 6600 rpm and 500 N·m (369 lb·ft) of torque at 3800 rpm. It is easily identified by its large central intake velocity stack chamber cover that carries the "M" logo and is further inscribed with "BMW M Power" against a simulated carbon fiber background.

I can't get to some of the sites that I think would document the story from work, but--

The 283ci chevy v8 in their '50s vehicles was never prototyped. Went straight from paper to factory floor due to competition from Ford. They figured if they didn't get a T-bird killer in the showroom, they were doomed. So they punted and sent straight to tooling without ever building one and testing it.

Originally Posted By: Win
And the V12 in my elderly Xj12:

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v12-engine/index.php

That is a FANTASTIC article
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: meep
I can't get to some of the sites that I think would document the story from work, but--

The 283ci chevy v8 in their '50s vehicles was never prototyped. Went straight from paper to factory floor due to competition from Ford. They figured if they didn't get a T-bird killer in the showroom, they were doomed. So they punted and sent straight to tooling without ever building one and testing it.

Make that a 265, the 283 didn't appear till the '57 model year...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Some back story on my car, for an 04 we were pretty excited!

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/srt8-chrysler.html

Great link Steve!

One thing of note is this quote:

Quote:
Full instrumentation, including a 180 mph (300 kph) speedometer

180mph = 290Km/h
190mph = 306Km/h

Is their math off, or is the speedometer setup in such a way that both 180Mph and 300Km/h are displayed?

Don't refrain from posting the bodies of these articles in this thread guys, it makes it easier for us to read and adds some redundancy to the information
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

thumbsup2.gif

The bias that European automakers have against pushrod engines never ceases to amuse me. A pushrod engine might have been a very viable, maybe even better, solution for them, but it reads like it was never even on their radar screen.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

thumbsup2.gif

Was the reliability on the XJ12 something that wasn't nearly as bad as everyone likes to think it was? And what was the last year for the 12, 1996? 1997?

The Xj40 was never intended to have a vee engine installed - but Ford said the V12 will go in the saloon car, whether it will fit or not, and the Xj81 was born.

Under hood heat from a physically massive engine in a cramped engine bay makes life really hard on the soft components. The only trouble I've ever had has been soft parts - hoses, belts, rubber lines and the like. Mechanically, they are very robust products of a bygone era.

Later variants '95 - '97 were better accommodating of the '12. But I like the smallish, short wheelbase, Xj81 cars. Mine is one of the last with Marelli ignition. I will never part with it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Some back story on my car, for an 04 we were pretty excited!

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/srt8-chrysler.html

Great link Steve!

One thing of note is this quote:

Quote:
Full instrumentation, including a 180 mph (300 kph) speedometer

180mph = 290Km/h
190mph = 306Km/h

Is their math off, or is the speedometer setup in such a way that both 180Mph and 300Km/h are displayed?

Good eye! Yep, it only goes to 180/290.

Back