Possible COUNTERFEIT DENSO "U Groove" sparkplug KJ16CR-L11? Bought from authorized dealer, Advance Auto Parts

Spark plug counterfeiting is very common. There is only one place in the world I trust when purchasing Denso or NGK:

It takes less than a week from ordering to my doorstep.

Amazon, Ebay, Walmart and name brand auto parts stores are the worst offenders of carrying fake plugs.

I have to disagree with you there. Authorized retailers are generally safe to buy from.
Their authorized retailers are the worst offenders in terms of counterfeits? The ones listed as authorized on the manufacturer's websites? :unsure: :confused:

I don't think so... o_O
yeah I dont think they are stupid enough risking their authorized dealership with principal, but many big store that is not directly authorized perhaps will do so

The spark plug I listed above (NGK CPR8EAIX-9) is not available in the US. There are no authorized US dealers that carry it. Any that do are selling a counterfeit plug. The only "authorized" US dealers that you can count on are the motorcycle and maybe car dealerships that order Denso/NGK directly from the manufacturer.

This counterfeiting plugs is a big deal and a lot more common than most consumers think. Even the retailers listed on the manufacturers website can carry fake plugs depending on the distributer. Unless the retailers are purchasing from a distributer that gets them directly from the manufacturer, you have no way of determining the point of origin.

The spark plug I listed above (NGK CPR8EAIX-9) is not available in the US. There are no authorized US dealers that carry it. Any that do are selling a counterfeit plug. The only "authorized" US dealers that you can count on are the motorcycle and maybe car dealerships that order Denso/NGK directly from the manufacturer.

This counterfeiting plugs is a big deal and a lot more common than most consumers think. Even the retailers listed on the manufacturers website can carry fake plugs depending on the distributer. Unless the retailers are purchasing from a distributer that gets them directly from the manufacturer, you have no way of determining the point of origin.

If you really think Napa is selling counterfeit plugs, report them to NGK.

Have you actually contacted NGK regarding this specific part number?

If you really think Napa is selling counterfeit plugs, report them to NGK.

Have you actually contacted NGK regarding this specific part number?
I don't purchase parts from NAPA. Yes the part number for my plug is only available in Japan. US does not sell the iridium equivalent of the CPR8EB-9. I'm not trusting of parts sold at NAPA, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Walmart, etc.

Only in a pinch do I utilize the "big name" auto parts. Walmart is a very last resort when there is nothing else. I loath entering auto parts stores and Walmart and having to pull every box apart to check for correct filters and every chemical cap to ensure the spray tip is on.

I call up my local dealer and the parts are waiting and always correct. It blows my mind as to why anyone would fight the dregs, lowlifes and criminals and then wait in a long line just to save a few dollars and still get the wrong parts. In a pinch yes. Regular shopping hell no.

I don't purchase parts from NAPA. Yes the part number for my plug is only available in Japan. US does not sell the iridium equivalent of the CPR8EB-9. I'm not trusting of parts sold at NAPA, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Walmart, etc.

Only in a pinch do I utilize the "big name" auto parts. Walmart is a very last resort when there is nothing else. I loath entering auto parts stores and Walmart and having to pull every box apart to check for correct filters and every chemical cap to ensure the spray tip is on.

I call up my local dealer and the parts are waiting and always correct. It blows my mind as to why anyone would fight the dregs, lowlifes and criminals and then wait in a long line just to save a few dollars and still get the wrong parts. In a pinch yes. Regular shopping hell no.

Did any US-market engines come with this plug from the factory? NGK's (US) site says it fits Yamaha and Honda motorcycles.

Is the Denso IU24 sold in the US? Because that is a cross-reference to the NGK you mention.

If it doesn't have to be iridium, is the NGK CPR8EA-9 sold in the US?

Did any US-market engines come with this plug from the factory? NGK's (US) site says it fits Yamaha and Honda motorcycles.

Is the Denso IU24 sold in the US? Because that is a cross-reference to the NGK you mention.

That plug is for small motorbike, so it is not common is US, but is common in developing countries in certain parts of Asia, and there is no point to buy the normal one instead the iridium one since the cost different is minimum but the performance gain is significant.
But if the dealer sell with reasonable price there is no point to source part from other part of the world, except one can get genuine part with reasonable price.

That plug is for small motorbike, so it is not common is US, but is common in developing countries in certain parts of Asia, and there is no point to buy the normal one instead the iridium one since the cost different is minimum but the performance gain is significant.
But if the dealer sell with reasonable price there is no point to source part from other part of the world, except one can get genuine part with reasonable price.

It is a factory iridium equivalent for a Super Tenere. They extend the check/replacement interval from every 6,000/12,000 miles to the 24,000 mile valve check. The Denso IU24 does not cross references the US market NGK CPR8EA-9 correctly because the insulator is not projected. In fact there is no other plug in the US market that cross references with the OEM one and has a projected insulator.

An easy way to understand this you can use a projected insulator plug to replace a non projected insulator but not the other way around. If you use a non projected plug in a application requiring a projected one, you will not get a full burn of the fuel. This results in lose of power and carbon buildup.

It is a factory iridium equivalent for a Super Tenere. They extend the check/replacement interval from every 6,000/12,000 miles to the 24,000 mile valve check. The Denso IU24 does not cross references the US market NGK CPR8EA-9 correctly because the insulator is not projected. In fact there is no other plug in the US market that cross references with the OEM one and has a projected insulator.

An easy way to understand this you can use a projected insulator plug to replace a non projected insulator but not the other way around. If you use a non projected plug in a application requiring a projected one, you will not get a full burn of the fuel. This results in lose of power and carbon buildup.

Opticat lists your NGK iridium as a new part that just came out recently. Various authorized sellers list it as out of stock or backorder.

Summit has it as special order that is expected to ship in a month. Napa also has it on their site but out of stock. Both appear on NGK's site as authorized retailers.

Also, I emailed NGK asking them to confirm whether or not this specific part number CPR8EAIX-9 is available in the US. I will update if I get a response.

Opticat lists your NGK iridium as a new part that just came out recently. Various authorized sellers list it as out of stock or backorder.

Summit has it as special order that is expected to ship in a month. Napa also has it on their site but out of stock. Both appear on NGK's site as authorized retailers.

Also, I emailed NGK asking them to confirm whether or not this specific part number CPR8EAIX-9 is available in the US. I will update if I get a response.

This plug is not available in the US for purchase.

This plug is not available in the US for purchase.

I heard back from NGK. I was able to verify that NGK does sell them in the US; they are just out of stock now.

NGK Spark Plugs USA:
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, they are available in the US. The stock number for CPR8EAIX-9 is 95134.

So if they're out of stock now, all you have to do is wait a month for them to come back in stock :)

Is your bike misfiring? Do you need them right now? Can you wait a few weeks?

I heard back from NGK. I was able to verify that NGK does sell them in the US; they are just out of stock now.

So if they're out of stock now, all you have to do is wait a month for them to come back in stock :)

Is your bike misfiring? Do you need them right now? Can you wait a few weeks?

I already purchased and replaced them a long time ago. I went to all the same trouble you did. NGK USA and distributers have to do just what I did and order them from Japan. I got mine directly from the source. Again there are no distributers in the US that carry that spark plug.

Changing plugs on a Super Tenere, while simple, is very time consuming. The OEM plugs are only good for 12K miles max. These Iridium will be good until I do my first valve check/adjustment at 24,000 miles.

The counterfeiting going on is so good you need a magnifying glass to determine the authenticity of some of these plugs.

I already purchased and replaced them a long time ago. I went to all the same trouble you did. NGK USA and distributers have to do just what I did and order them from Japan. I got mine directly from the source. Again there are no distributers in the US that carry that spark plug.

Changing plugs on a Super Tenere, while simple, is very time consuming. The OEM plugs are only good for 12K miles max. These Iridium will be good until I do my first valve check/adjustment at 24,000 miles.

The counterfeiting going on is so good you need a magnifying glass to determine the authenticity of some of these plugs.

well, glad you have nice enough weather where you can put all those miles on a new motorcycle and ride it year-round :)

In places that have winter, those OEM 12k plugs could last you 10 years! :D

FWIW, this plug is available from an authorized US distributor.

NGK_Monarch.jpg

In general, because of the price differences between Monarch (NGK.com/sparkplugs.com) and RA, it makes one wonder where RA is sourcing their plugs from.

In general, because of the price differences between Monarch (NGK.com/sparkplugs.com) and RA, it makes one wonder where RA is sourcing their plugs from.

You can find that out by googling the return address of your Rock Auto shipment. It will lead you to the source. Usually Rock Auto's parts come from Auto Value or Parts Authority, though sometimes parts ship directly from the manufacturer.

Most of their wholesaler closeouts come from Ultra-Power in Sugar Land, TX.

FWIW, this plug is available from an authorized US distributor.

View attachment 88006

Sorry Paul but that is not the correct plug. Those are NGK95134 plugs and they are a threaded stud style. The ones I use are the NGK CPR8EAIX-9 with removable terminal nut. These are the only ones that cross over to the OEM CPR8EB-9. I appreciate your effort and help but I went down this road a few years back when I was looking for a Iridium equivalent. I can say with 100% certainty that no iridium extended projector plug exists in the US market that will work on the Super Tenere.

FWIW there are 2 separate NGK CPR8EAIX-9 plugs manufactured. One is the studded version and the other has the removable terminal nut. Studded available in the US. Removable nut only available in Japan.

The plug number doesn't have a "U" in it. So it isn't a "U" grove plug.

As an example, my motorcycle plug is W24ES-U.

My Tacoma (4.0 Lt. V6) from the factory came with NGK plugs on the pass. side and Denso plugs on the driver's side.

I can tell you this that the NGK center electrode wore faster than the Denso. These plugs have coil on plug.

Like most people with this engine, I use Denso "U" grove in all cyl.

The plug change is every 30,00 miles. by the manual.

No iridium plugs used in this engine unless you're using a supercharger.

The 4 cyl. does use a "U" grove plug with I think 100,000-mile replacement

Tom B

Last edited:
Sorry Paul but that is not the correct plug. Those are NGK95134 plugs and they are a threaded stud style. The ones I use are the NGK CPR8EAIX-9 with removable terminal nut. These are the only ones that cross over to the OEM CPR8EB-9. I appreciate your effort and help but I went down this road a few years back when I was looking for a Iridium equivalent. I can say with 100% certainty that no iridium extended projector plug exists in the US market that will work on the Super Tenere.

FWIW there are 2 separate NGK CPR8EAIX-9 plugs manufactured. One is the studded version and the other has the removable terminal nut. Studded available in the US. Removable nut only available in Japan.

I can dig it. Finding the OEM plugs for my old Ducati has been a moving target for a while now.

Back