Positive review of Toyo Open Country II AT 265/70/17 tires

I'd consider myself a near expert winter driver having spent most of my 3 decades of adult life living and regularly driving in heavy snowy/icy/rainy winter conditions.

In 2019 I put a set of lightly used Toyo Open Country II AT 265/70/17 on my SUV. I was a previous fan of the Bridgestone AT Revos which were excellent tires, and not at all noisy. The prior tires were Dunlops, and not great as I was able to cause myself to spin out on icy roads with them. I had to replace the Revos on a tight budget and got this set of barely used Toyos for a good price. I reluctantly got them on, and wow! Dare I say they are the best snow rated tires I've had, EVER. I have tried to spin out on ice in safe areas, and these tires really hug the snowy/icy roads. Without being too careless or dangerous, with casual attempts, I'm unable to force myself to lose control on these tires. I cannot even fishtail on a ice covered side road or lot at reasonable speeds. I was recently in very deep snow (2 feet). I moved thru it without any problem, like it wasn't there. I'm 100% in love with these Toyos and will buy again. Subjectively, I think the Revos were more quiet but the Toyos better in the snow/ice.

In summary, the Revos were great and these current Toyos are fantastic. Revos better for highway and lower noise. Toyos better for snow/ice. My opinion based on experiences.

I'd consider myself a near expert winter driver having spent most of my 3 decades of adult life living and regularly driving in heavy snowy/icy/rainy winter conditions.

In 2019 I put a set of lightly used Toyo Open Country II AT 265/70/17 on my SUV. I was a previous fan of the Bridgestone AT Revos which were excellent tires, and not at all noisy. The prior tires were Dunlops, and not great as I was able to cause myself to spin out on icy roads with them. I had to replace the Revos on a tight budget and got this set of barely used Toyos for a good price. I reluctantly got them on, and wow! Dare I say they are the best snow rated tires I've had, EVER. I have tried to spin out on ice in safe areas, and these tires really hug the snowy/icy roads. Without being too careless or dangerous, with casual attempts, I'm unable to force myself to lose control on these tires. I cannot even fishtail on a ice covered side road or lot at reasonable speeds. I was recently in very deep snow (2 feet). I moved thru it without any problem, like it wasn't there. I'm 100% in love with these Toyos and will buy again. Subjectively, I think the Revos were more quiet but the Toyos better in the snow/ice.

In summary, the Revos were great and these current Toyos are fantastic. Revos better for highway and lower noise. Toyos better for snow/ice. My opinion based on experiences.
Excellent.

Type of vehicle?

I have TOYO Celsius on my 2017 RX 350 and have been very happy with them. Where I live, even though it snows, I don't need full winter tires so these all weather fit in perfectly.

I have TOYO Celsius on my 2017 RX 350 and have been very happy with them. Where I live, even though it snows, I don't need full winter tires so these all weather fit in perfectly.
Most people don't need full winter tires.

Would love to know the vehicle OP CharlesInCharge has.

The Open Country A/T II's lasted about 6-7 years (roughly 100K miles) on my father's Land Cruiser, kept them on all year around. Absolutely INSANE how long those tires last! The A/T III's are the replacement, but yeah... Ridiculously long life lol. The tread is starting to go but still holds up well in the snow, not as deep as it could have handled previously though.

I loved the toyo open country AT on my 2002 ranger I had kitted out for exploring (10k hydro winch, rock rails etc)
unfortunately a board with nails did in 2 of them and they were on national backorder.

I now have the open country AT III on the jeep and they are very aggressive and surpass the opencountry II's in every way according to reviews.

They are a little more aggressive than I would typically buy but so far not much louder than the destination AT with 30k miles on them.

The best part besides working well in all conditions is they are fairly light so you dont lose 10-15% mpg.

Would this be the tire I would pick for a weekend only offroading toy.. maybe not .. but for the daily driver thats a toy on the weekend.. sure.

Back