portable radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Jensen SAB-55 I got from Target to keep with me while I ride my bicycle.

I've tried others and got bad reception, but this one is great.

But, the stations come in Stereo. It has a spot on the LCD(?) for stereo. Sometimes it picks up other times not. Thing is, when the stereo reception is lost, one of the headphones loses volume and it is constantly going in and out and is quite annoying.

The headphones are nice and are in stereo and also include the antenna. Is there some cheap headphones that include the antenna, but are not stereo that I can try out to see if getting a mono signal will resolve the issue?

thanks

All headphones act as the antenna on those little radios, just the way they're wired.

You might want to find a FM radio with switchable mono; the stereo signal takes a stronger signal and when it falls off is when you notice it... as you say annoying.

They do have mono headphones, try radio shack, but they are awful in sound quality, meant for dictating letters from cassette tapes or something. They'll have one stripe on the jack, not two. (insulators between ground and signal... and potentially another signal.)

Hate to be a party pooper, but you should not be using headphones/listening to the radio unless the bicycle is stationary. It is a safety issue.

thanks eljefino, so I'm out of luck.

I guess i just use the one headphone that doesnt cut out (cant remember if it is L or R)

JHZR2, Im not the safest guy out there. I dont use a helmet, but when I ride I only use the a headphone in my right ear so I can hear approaching cars. BTW, I originally wanted a radio with an external speaker that I could hang around my neck (as a necklace) and hear the radio and traffic sounds at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back