Portable Battery Charger (made in USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a battery charger. I think that I would prefer a portable unit vs. these roll around chargers. I like the portable battery charger b/c it would be between a roll around & a portable jump starter in portability but would provide pretty much all the features of a roll around. I need help in deciphering what is fluff & what are good, useful features from the following companies to lead to a reasonable choice of model #. If it's not already obvious, I am not a professional mechanic. I would think that having a charger with the ability to trickle charge batteries.

USA Battery Chargers Model 60 seems to be a little too low on the low end; model 52PY seems to be too high on the high end. I'm thinking that model P160 would be good but model 126ST might be good enough with a 60A boost although this wouldn't start a car with a dead battery would it? The site doesn't say what guage the battery cables are. It also doesn't list charger weights. It doesn't appear that model 126ST is rated for indoor/outdoor like model P160 which leans me further to model P160. The warranty on model 126ST is only 1 year but model P160 has a 5-year warranty. Does that really matter, meaning is there that much difference in component quality between the two or is it an insurance prepayment plan?

Associated Equipment Model 6010A or 6015A seem to be the best bet but are not quite on par with the Model P160 & 126ST from USA Battery Chargers. What's with the 4 charging positions statement? They also don't state trickle charging ability. Model 6015A even says 4 charger rates which in my understanding is not a trickle charger. The site says the battery cables for model 6010A are 6.5 AWG. Is that legit? I've never heard of a 6-1/2 gauge wire. Model 6015A is only rated for indoor use as well. Unfortunately, batteries don't always go down when it is sunny. I believe that model 6010A is good for any weather since it is based upon model 6009 which is good for any weather (indoor/outdoor). The warranty on model 6015A is only 1 year but model 6010A has a 5-year warranty. Same scenario as above. Model 6010A is ~ $375 & model 6015A is ~ $150 w/o too much digging. This also dings them as it appears they are more money for less product when compared to the USA Battery Chargers site.

I don't know the charge control circuity for either which I would think would be quite important.

Finally, are there any other battery chargers that are made in USA? I know that Clore has portable jump starters but that is not what I'm looking for now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have an Associated 6018. I went that way because I wanted the 200 A start capability and it is rated for outdoor use. Yes, it will survive use in the rain. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years and it has worked flawlessly. Only dislike is that it does not have a trickle charge nor does it auto shutoff when the battery is charged.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back