Porsche surface coated brakes

Not sure of the take rate but they last 30% longer. They are $3,000 a pair for the front and use proprietary brake pads. Wouldn't shock me if you spent $7,000 for a brake job at a dealership. I see the benefit especially with less brake dust on expensive wheels but am unsure if most buyers would notice the difference in braking life and performance. These are in in between to the pccb option that is full-on race spec. The big shocker is when this thing is out of warranty and the general public purchases it second hand and gets brake job estimates.

Aren't rotors inherently sacrificial though? The entire point of them being heavy raw iron is that they microscopically grind away during braking.

Eh, I don't see the hype. The last Porsche I did a brake job on got OE Textar pads and coated rotors, just like what came off from the factory. The old parts did just fine, and so did the new ones. I don't see the point of these fancy brake systems that high-end cars get. $15-20k for ceramic rotors? Pfff. 99% of buyers never take their cars over 70 MPH and have absolutely no use for a braking system of that capacity. It's purely for show. "I bought myself an $80k car and added a $20k brake package because I wanted the best. I love driving it to Target and back."

What a waste.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
...I don't see the point of these fancy brake systems that high-end cars get...
You're welcome to try mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For street performance cars, When companies like Carbotech make pads that work with conventional rotors and generate incredible stopping power, I just don't see the need to do this.

We're redoing a friend's sweet W203 C32 AMG on its 150,000-mile celebration.

Good times. Sourced entire OE Zimmermann rotors + Textar pads + incidentals and consumables from FCP for under $500.
Seems the Germans typically engineer really good and effective brakes included in msrp.
Silver, green, red calipers don't make any difference on the double blinds. I retract them.

Runs ~13.5@105. Looks like grandma.
Stops straight and with a lovely takeup and deft modulation.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Eh, I don't see the hype. The last Porsche I did a brake job on got OE Textar pads and coated rotors, just like what came off from the factory. The old parts did just fine, and so did the new ones. I don't see the point of these fancy brake systems that high-end cars get. $15-20k for ceramic rotors? Pfff. 99% of buyers never take their cars over 70 MPH and have absolutely no use for a braking system of that capacity. It's purely for show. "I bought myself an $80k car and added a $20k brake package because I wanted the best. I love driving it to Target and back."

What a waste.

The carbon ceramic ACR brakes on my Viper, perform really well when pushed on the way to the latest sale at Target. The additional 400 rwhp helps me get there first...

Back