Pool plumbing help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have an inground pool and I have the filter and sand pump in my shed. I am trying to install an inline chlorinator by attaching it to the return line (my pool is not heated). I plumbed in the connections to the chlorinator, but no matter what I try I am getting heavy leaks. It says not to tighten connections too tight which is what I did originally but further tightening did not resolve the issue. The chlorinator is by a brand called Jacuzzi. It leaks from where the spin on connectors connect to the chlorinator. I used 2-3 coats of teflon tape around the threads and still its leaking heavily. I did see a mention in the instructions stating, "The chlorinator is furnished with 1 inch female PVC socket (solvent weld) connectors. Use pipe thread sealant formulation and approved for use with plastic connections. Do not over tighten". I dont have much experience with this but does that mean I need to cover the threads with a thick coat of thread sealant in order to prevent leaks? I guess I find it strange that my spa plumbing just requires it to be tightened and not even require the use of teflon tape in order to provide a leakfree seal. I am sick and tired of dealing with pool plumbing this year! Ready to pull my hair out.. There must be a better way to connect stuff! Granted I have an older pool with old connections.. ABS connecting to PVC in spots with transition cement. If anyone out there knows this stuff and can direct me on way to go about this, please chime in! I am okay with it being a permanent install, but just worried that even if I use glue that I will end up with leaks anyways and need to cut out the chlorinator... Thanks in advance all
smile.gif

Needs more Teflon tape and the problem with plastic pipe is over tightening the plastic to stop the leak. It will cause failure at the top thread is a few years. The pool learninig curve I found is severe . There are some great pool web sites and there was one with lots of borax ,baking soda and ,Chlorine tips that gave me a sparkling clear pool at am third of the cost of pool store procedures.

Mine is old as well … I have had to PVC cement some things (last resort) … then (years later) cut out the assembly and just use compression sleeves where I cut slick PVC pipe …

I even have a section of (Cummins) radiator hose in use … it’s all in my pump shed and not in sight …

Originally Posted By: CT8
Needs more Teflon tape and the problem with plastic pipe is over tightening the plastic to stop the leak. It will cause failure at the top thread is a few years. The pool learninig curve I found is severe . There are some great pool web sites and there was one with lots of borax ,baking soda and ,Chlorine tips that gave me a sparkling clear pool at am third of the cost of pool store procedures.

Sounds like he's converting his pool to saltwater, which is simple to maintain.

We're in our first year with a brand new saltwater (in ground fiberglass shell) pool and it's basically maintenance free. I've never had a pool before, but I can't imagine it being any simpler than this.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
LOL a pool in MTL, CANADA now I've heard it all.
I thought it was funny too. Good for a whole 2 weeks a year
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
crackmeup2.gif

Clearly you both havent been here. I use my pool from early May until end up of September. Currently 88 degrees and feels like 93, and we have had a hot and humid summer so far. You think summer doesnt exist in Canada? LOL

If you have the Jacuzzi model linked, there are definitely o-rings (exactly one per connection) between the pipe union flanges and the chlorinator cell body. One of the parts, most likely the flange, will be grooved to hold the o-ring. Make sure the o-ring stays in the groove as you assemble. You do not need to put any sealant on the threads. The nuts hold the flange in place against the body, and they do not need to be much more than hand tight. The o-ring makes the seal. When properly sealed, water will never reach the threaded part.

Last edited:
I have been maintaining an inground for over 30 years. The pool is 18000 gal. I dump one gallon of 12.5% chlorine ever 5 days or so. End of story. Make sure all the other parameters are right, especially the stabiliser. I just drop a drop of tester in and as long as its yellow, I am good to go.

The key is varying the concentration of the chlorine.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: CT8

Sounds like he's converting his pool to saltwater, which is simple to maintain.

We're in our first year with a brand new saltwater (in ground fiberglass shell) pool and it's basically maintenance free. I've never had a pool before, but I can't imagine it being any simpler than this.
I have had pool people tell me the fiberglass and saltwater is the absolute best way to go . Pools aren't that hard but stay on top of the water balance . Years ago I slacked off and like magic the pool was pea soup green instantly and cost about $400.00 in chemicals and electricity to clear it up.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
crackmeup2.gif

Clearly you both havent been here. I use my pool from early May until end up of September. Currently 88 degrees and feels like 93, and we have had a hot and humid summer so far. You think summer doesnt exist in Canada? LOL

It is Metric summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back