polymer AR mags other than PMAGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
... If they'd have been available in 2005 when we went to Iraq, I would have used them. As it stood, I used HK's Maritime steel mags that I got my supply guy to order for me since they had NSN's in the system. :geek:😇😇😇
LOL. BTDT. Fact: 2008 ~1/3 of my [aluminum?] mags had no name, ~1/3 were Colt. ~1/3 I swear were stamped Brownells.

Current issue we get now are Gen-3 PMAGs; ~half of us got plain black the other half got Coyote w/ windows. They are 100% reliable, even more than the last "Tan follower" ones. Total **** conditions here and they work (I mean BAD). Supposedly Gen-3 PMAGs and tan follower standard issue are necessary iot prevent the new 5.56mm [steel tip] EPR rounds from wearing down the feed ramps. IDK, but what I do know what we got now aint broke, Gen-3 PMAGs work, they are relatively cheap; unless you have some kind of vendetta or reason to dislike PMAG just buy them.

Gen 3 PMAGS have a higher feed angle that feeds the rounds higher into the chamber to prevent feed ramp damage. The new EPR rounds will damage feed ramps from what I understand… if using an old style GI mag. The new GI mags were supposedly designed to fix this but those mags ended up being a boondoggle joke.

Gen 3 PMAGS have constant curve geometry inside like an AK47 mag. The round stack is properly curved following the curvature of the 5.56 case. This helps increase reliability exponentially.

The new coyote gen 3 mags are made from a high tech polymer with reduced infrared signature (or something along those lines. I can’t recall the details with 100% certainty) Obviously more for a military and not something Joe Citizen cares about.

my final entry in this thread...as of now (after recent purchases) I have:

4 x pmag gen 2 30's, 2 x rra poly 30's (gonna be my range mags), 4 x okay aluminum 30's (2011 vintage leftovers in wrappers w/ tan followers), 4 x pmag gen 3 20's; the nearest shop with okay surefeeds is @ 50 miles from me & they want $18-20 each...paid $15 for the surplus gi mags in town;

by grabbing these mags & ammo for function testing, I have to sideline a few other projects with 9mm pistols, other mag acquisitions, stash ammo purchase, etc; not sure I wanna mess with anymore aluminum GI mags, but a few shops have D&H or ASC...they are on the outer fringe of my preferred shopping distance; hope I don't regret buying the aluminum I grabbed...could bought 6 x Amend2 30's for the same price!

my final entry in this thread...as of now (after recent purchases) I have:

4 x pmag gen 2 30's, 2 x rra poly 30's (gonna be my range mags), 4 x okay aluminum 30's (2011 vintage leftovers in wrappers w/ tan followers), 4 x pmag gen 3 20's; the nearest shop with okay surefeeds is @ 50 miles from me & they want $18-20 each...paid $15 for the surplus gi mags in town;

by grabbing these mags & ammo for function testing, I have to sideline a few other projects with 9mm pistols, other mag acquisitions, stash ammo purchase, etc; not sure I wanna mess with anymore aluminum GI mags, but a few shops have D&H or ASC...they are on the outer fringe of my preferred shopping distance; hope I don't regret buying the aluminum I grabbed...could bought 6 x Amend2 30's for the same price!
Amend2's are hot garbage. Best use of them is trash bag filler.

They’re cheaper in batches of 10, and I buy mostly the 20 round versions. 30 round mags feel awfully clumsy to me.
I just looked. $145 for 10 makes them only 14.50 a piece. Lol

And the 20rd mags are even more expensive. Ouch

Looks like botach.com has some okay mags still in stock 12.50 each
I just stopped by there today and picked up 8 tactical black 30 round mags and 8 mil spec textured greys. The counterman told me they bought a bunch when Okay announced they were going to stop making them. $12.50 each. Something tells me I'm going to feel like a fool for not backing the truck up and loading up all they had.
PMAG Gen M3 non window were 6 for $80.

The military used to have aluminum magazines made by D&H as well. Buy with confidence and don't worry about Okay Industries going out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back