Pole barn on steroids, home in Beulah, ND

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Very interesting home. And some of the "toys" in the home are BITOG favorites. Most every single thing about this home is interesting, to include the landscaping. The interior has more natural light than I would have guessed. Price seems steep.

This is a home I would be interested in (in theory), except for two reasons. The well is not in place, and the exterior is not 100 percent sealed.

Not having water is a huge issue- lots of risk. I know the Seller provided recommendations, but this is not a cabin to haul water too- it is a six figure home. On the exterior, being unsealed, and who knows how long- means water damage risk and deterioration of materials that should not have long term exposure to the elements. I also can't figure out the single garage bay- seems to run into the front entry way......

Cut the price more than in half- I may be interested, but only if I can get the exterior 100 percent weatherproofed.

Last edited:
GON, you should consider having a home built.

I've had two homes built exactly how I wanted it.
I bought the land my new home is on by digging up the owner on the county auditor website and approaching him in person.

Find land you can build a home with a walkout basement on if the area has such geography.

My wife and I came close to having this home built but went with something else.

frecnh country house.jpg

Seems high for what it is and what other homes cost there. Id like it at $450k if I had a need for all the space but not $1.2M with no water.

GON, you should consider having a home built.

I've had two homes built exactly how I wanted it.
I bought the land my new home is on by digging up the owner on the county auditor website and approaching him in person.

Find land you can build a home with a walkout basement on if the area has such geography.

My wife and I came close to having this home built but went with something else.

View attachment 122445
SA,

Thanks for the suggestion.

New construction is not on our radar for multiple reasons. Our budget is limited, we may soon be on a fixed income, we would likely not be local to where the building is being done, lots of extras in new construction outside the cost of the home (shelves, blinds, etc), and rate many general contractors about as trustworthy as a used car salesman. New construction doesn't work in our scenario. Can you imagine having a home built 2,000 miles away from where we live. I can imagine it will be a nightmare.

I have no issue finishing a house. I can do the electric, plumbing, etc. We used to attend a building material auction called Peak Auctions. They often had great deals on stuff like countertops, windows, etc. You had to know what you were buying, and it was easy to overpay and/ or get burned. But if you had flexibility ang knowledge, great deals could be had. I went to a Peak Auction in Charleston SC last spring, and discovered they had almost nothing of value, and a huge amount of buyers desperate for materials. So, getting mistake orders at auction from million dollar houses is not so feasible- likely not at all in today's environment.

Zero curb appeal. Maybe for someone who values toys(depreciating assets) over a salable home. Remind me of our local trailer and plow dealer .

I cannot fathom why that hideous garage has doors facing the facade of home. Just turning it 90 degrees would help.

Zero curb appeal. Maybe for someone who values toys(depreciating assets) over a salable home. Remind me of our local trailer and plow dealer .

I cannot fathom why that hideous garage has doors facing the facade of home. Just turning it 90 degrees would help.
AJ,

For the record I DID NOT send my Wife a link to that home.

If I was a single guy...... I still wouldn't buy that pole barn, but I would be more curious about it.

Barndominiums are a thing gaining in popularity down here. This one is literally right around the corner from my house. They were asking over a million for it a while back, sold for $525, just before all the property values around here went nutzo.

Wife hates it, I'd love it.

Barndominiums are a thing gaining in popularity down here. This one is literally right around the corner from my house. They were asking over a million for it a while back, sold for $525, just before all the property values around here went nutzo.

Wife hates it, I'd love it.

CTB,

Thanks for sharing- the place is kind of neat. The interior reminds me of a loft style conversion they do for old urban buildings that were shuttered factories and now a fancy home.

Not really a home so much as horse barn and garage with small attached apartment on five acres…
Was thinking the same. Love the space but for that little living space for that much money… even if near a lake area.

I suspect it’s just a “feelers out” in case someone bites.

I think with many toys i’d want it detached. One vehicle decides to go up, it all goes up. Also a bit weird to not have grass around the residence, fine for a garage (less upkeep) but I’d want more for home.

I think with many toys i’d want it detached. One vehicle decides to go up, it all goes up. Also a bit weird to not have grass around the residence, fine for a garage (less upkeep) but I’d want more for home.

It occurred to me that lack of grass et al might be for fire resiliency.

"...no grass..."
isn't it unfinshed? (no drive either).
Some 1 wanted to live @ their business (does it have a 'store' attached? I see display cases, a large 'milling around' area - for tables? chairs?).
The trailer park - built in customers?

The bank decided not to fund? future owner/builder got another idea?
The barn does not look 'horsey' (bording fees, attached 'club house').

Any other ideas (how close to bigger city?)

Back