Plug Check

This came out of a 2021 Kona 1.6L Turbo. 35,000 miles. Manual says to change at 40,000. They don’t look bad to me. Opinions?
IMG_7639.jpeg
IMG_7638.jpeg

Looks like it should be a half step hotter even though plugs aren't made in 1/2 steps I assume.

I had an Elantra Sport with the 201HP 1.6. I changed mine at 42K and they looked a little better. I kept them in my tool box despite getting rid of the car. I remember the plugs being NGK but having a spark plug number only available from Hyundai dealers at the time, that probably changed by now.

I bought the car used with 20K on it, but assume this is the original NGK SILZKR8E8G spark plug installed in the factory.

IMG_6550.JPG

Here is what Rock Auto has in the NGK line. The Hyundai brand seems to be more than twice as much. This was a 2019 and for some reason it wasn’t listed in Rock Auto for the 2021. Probably worth looking into before you buy.

8EE96418-259C-44B2-A1C1-D6DE2203178A.jpg

Last edited:
Mazda recommends the same for our 2.5 Turbo. I didn't realize this and didn't get around to it until 73,000. It was running well though and plugs all looked similar to yours. I changed them of course but took comfort at how they performed well beyond the mfg interval.

It (the interval) just seemed early. It was the only plug I removed, and done during routine maintenance on curiosity. Rock auto shows a Hyundai number, actually two, and I won’t be replacing with off brand when the time comes. I just saw the plug and didn’t understand such a short interval for plugs that I considered serviceable.

Mazda recommends the same for our 2.5 Turbo. I didn't realize this and didn't get around to it until 73,000. It was running well though and plugs all looked similar to yours. I changed them of course but took comfort at how they performed well beyond the mfg interval.
Notice a difference afterwards?

Since you've only taken one out, I'd check gap and put it back in, and considering the minimal wear for your driving cycles, wait a bit longer than the 40K mi interval to check them again, unless the gap is considerably off then you decide whether to regap or replace.

Once you have all 4 being pulled out though, I agree with others that you might as well replace them all.

These plugs are stupid-easy. Takes about 3 minutes from start to finish to remove. But I'm not pulling all four until the change time. I was just curious as to why a short interval on what I thought were serviceable plugs.

Looks like it should be a half step hotter even though plugs aren't made in 1/2 steps I assume.

I had an Elantra Sport with the 201HP 1.6. I changed mine at 42K and they looked a little better. I kept them in my tool box despite getting rid of the car. I remember the plugs being NGK but having a spark plug number only available from Hyundai dealers at the time, that probably changed by now.

I bought the car used with 20K on it, but assume this is the original NGK SILZKR8E8G spark plug installed in the factory.

View attachment 206610
Look perfect to me...

The 2.0T in my Buick is the same way, a high output 2.0T. Pulled the original plugs at 68K and they looked fine. Replaced them anyways. On a 4-cylinder math is in your favor, and if you plan ahead you can get the OEM plugs relatively cheap on Amazon or Rockauto. I replaced mine with NGK ruthenium, no difference as I expected.

These plugs are stupid-easy. Takes about 3 minutes from start to finish to remove. But I'm not pulling all four until the change time. I was just curious as to why a short interval on what I thought were serviceable plugs.
My Honda has 40k service on it iridium's that I thought could go longer until they started missing. Not the same engine or hp but just change them. Hyundai has there reasons, what who knows but like you said an easy service

Back