Pledge on Tires? NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
I don't like the tire dressings that leave the tires shiny. It just looks like someone smeared a bunch of oil on the sidewalls. I like the ones that leave a matte finish...they leave the tires looking more like rubber should look...

I agree. I prefer a matte or satin finish on tires and exterior black trim.

Originally Posted by Linctex
We used to use Pledge on various parts of our snowmobiles - ice and snow won't stick to it

Same reason why some snowboarders use it as well in a pinch instead of wax.

I use pledge on batteries when installing/maintaining them. Read of that from someone on here, in that it helps reduce conductive traces of dirt and acid.

Anything with petroleum distillates can crack soft plasticized materials. It can extract the plasticizers.

303 and similar products are a silicone emulsion in water, at low levels, so there is no distillates to aid in removing the plasticizers. Apparently Armor-All has gone that direction as well, but Im not definite on that.

Silicones can offer some UV protection. So there's some good in that. But what theyre applied with is the determinant.

FWIW, I'm not big on tire shines either.

I grab an old and nasty product-Bleche-White-to get the brown oxidation off and do most of the cleaning. I find I prefer the look of a clean but otherwise untreated tire to a goopey, shiny one.

I like Meguiars Insane tire shine, like to spray it on and let it sit on the tires for an hour then come back and wipe the tire down, gives the tires a rich looking black, not too shiny and not dull, have never had any problems with any tire shine products, the key is to use it regularly, started using Armor All back in the 70's on my tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back