Please, interpret this label

I would like to know how you were to interpret this label if you didn't know anything about AKI and how it relates to the Octane rating. Would this label make you think Octane and AKI were the same? Would you wonder why the label says to use premium gas and apparently equates that with 89 Octane?

Would you wonder why they didn't write premium gasoline minimum rating 91 Octane (AKI 89) on the label?

I read it as "you should use premium gasoline" (but if you don't, then at least use 89, but don't use 87)...
A clunky way to phrase that, but that may be one way to interpret it? AKI 89 is midgrade, not premium, in most of the US (not sure about other parts of the world, though). Basically - it might mean "premium preferred, mid grade required"?

To me, I would simply interpret it as use 89 or better.

Here we have 87, 89, 91, and 93. In this instance, stay away from the 87 but use any of the others.

Pretty much the same label that was on my BMW except for the part about additives. In the context of that statement anything 89 and above is going to be a premium product.

It should run on anything unless it says this;

jet fuel only.jpg

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your interpretation.

The manual clearly states:

Recommended gasoline grades:
The manufacturer of your Mini recommends AKI 91
Minimum grade: The manufacturer of your Mini recommends AKI 89

So Premium is recommended, Plus is okay.

I was just wondering how you guys would interpret the label, which in my opinion is poorly worded. I think it would be better if were to say:
Premium gas (AKI 91) recommended
Mid-Grade gas (AKI 88) required

I do have another question related to AKI and E10 gasoline.
How much does the AKI increase between the same grade gas if one is just gas and the other one is E10?

Last edited:
How much does the AKI increase between the same grade gas if one is just gas and the other one is E10?
I doesn't, E10 regular is ~84 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol added, 87 octane E0 is 87 octaned, 93 octane E10 is 91 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol added, mid tier gasoline is mixed at the pump by blending a certain proportion from the regular and premium tanks.

I doesn't, E10 regular is ~84 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol added, 87 octane E0 is 87 octaned, 93 octane E10 is 91 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol added, mid tier gasoline is mixed at the pump by blending a certain proportion from the regular and premium tanks.
Very interesting. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your interpretation.

The manual clearly states:

Recommended gasoline grades:
The manufacturer of your Mini recommends AKI 91
Minimum grade: The manufacturer of your Mini recommends AKI 89

So Premium is recommended, Plus is okay.

I was just wondering how you guys would interpret the label, which in my opinion is poorly worded. I think it would be better if were to say:
Premium gas (AKI 91) recommended
Mid-Grade gas (AKI 88) required

Yeah that’s kind of confusing… Mopar does it a bit better with their 5.7’s.

A076EF29-F18A-4559-9332-8F7B1098760F.jpg

And octane rating is octane rating, regardless of how it is obtained. There are multiple ways to achieve a particular value. I doubt there is anyone formulating gasoline with just isooctane these days.

Back