plastic trim, fasteners and rattles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some observations on plastic trim, fasteners and rattles. My wife asked if I could check out her car for rattles and noise. I took it for a test drive and yes it has some rattles, and yes it has 141k miles on it. Thinking "that's life, I'll check it out anyway".

The suspension and important stuff is tight. As I pounded on the fenders, bumper and whatnot, I did notice a lot of rattles associated with the plastic panels. A lot of the panels are held in place with plastic push rivets. What seemed characteristic was that most of the plastic push rivets were a little, to a lot loose.

Looking at it carefully, the push rivets snug by springing the plastic into the hole. Over time, the plastic deforms, looses its spring, and the push rivet becomes loose.

I also noticed where the plastic panel is bolted to the car, I was typically able to snug the bolt a 1/4 turn or so. I presume the plastic under the bolt, over time, deformed, reducing the clamping pressure.

As a side note, at work years ago we made a test rig to flex test cables (lots of cycles, back and forth, back and forth...) The test rig was bolted together and made of wood. I noticed that the bolts needed frequent tightening as the wood settled under the compression of the fastener. It's a similar phenomenon with plastic, yielding under stress over time and I believe the root source of rattles in plastic panels in modern cars.

Plastic push rivets are available at the auto parts store, I happened to have a box from an earlier job that fit. I also added a couple of screws to secure some panels that seemed to need a little something extra.

Thanks for your advice and information. BTW, are these rivets/Push Pins standard or have different sizes? I have a Honda Civic and would like to add some of the missing ones too.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
... are these rivets/Push Pins standard or have different sizes? I have a Honda Civic and would like to add some of the missing ones too...
Among other sources, Amazon sells many varieties and sizes. You'll need to know the size of the hole they'll go in. Some of Amazon's descriptions aren't clear about that, unfortunately.

Thanks for your advice and information. BTW, are these rivets/Push Pins standard or have different sizes? I have a Honda Civic and would like to add some of the missing ones too.

Thank you.

They come in many different sizes, styles and grip lengths. If you can, remove one and take it with you. The hole size is the critical parameter. You may not be able to find an exact match, for example; the ones I removed had four "fingers" the replacements were a split "arrow head" that expanded when you set them. One other thing, 8mm is pretty much the same size as 5/16", a popular size.

Removing them can be tedious. Most have a Phillips head drive that you unscrew. The trick is to turn the head without putting too much pressure on it. It may or may not back out. Sometimes it just backs out a little and you have to use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the head up. Once the head and stem is unscrewed (it doesn't have to be removed entirely) the "fingers" can collapse and the rivet may be removed.

Last edited:
I go to a body shop supply store. They keep their plastic rivet and clip selection laid out on a piece of plywood with code numbers.

Hand 'em a note saying, "8-#3409, 12-#4587, 3-#...you get the idea.

My buddy's BMW had missing trunk liner rivets. Imagine his glee when an unexpected envelope arrived with the "hardware" he needed.

I've replaced header and rocker panel rivets, all manner of door card clip. Good to have nearby. Kira

Thank you.

They are all made in China anyway (inc many OE) so why not just buy them direct. I have bought hundreds of these things on fleabay and they are no better or worse.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...ns&_sacat=0

Or if you are looking for special clips and all sorts of almost impossible to find little doodads.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda_Acura_Trim_Door_Clips_Fasteners_s/65.htm

Originally Posted By: Kira
I go to a body shop supply store. They keep their plastic rivet and clip selection laid out on a piece of plywood with code numbers.

Hand 'em a note saying, "8-#3409, 12-#4587, 3-#...you get the idea.

My buddy's BMW had missing trunk liner rivets. Imagine his glee when an unexpected envelope arrived with the "hardware" he needed.

I've replaced header and rocker panel rivets, all manner of door card clip. Good to have nearby. Kira

Thanks, forgive my ignorance but is it like MAACO or something similar or?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Thank you.

They are all made in China anyway (inc many OE) so why not just buy them direct. I have bought hundreds of these things on fleabay and they are no better or worse.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...ns&_sacat=0

Or if you are looking for special clips and all sorts of almost impossible to find little doodads.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda_Acura_Trim_Door_Clips_Fasteners_s/65.htm

That's the best part about eBay, you can get like 20 pieces for a price of 1.

Thanks for sharing
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back