Plants - they learn and remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to a podcast today with Monica Gagliano being interviewed.

Long story short...
One of her experiments used Mimosa Pudica plants, which fold their leaves in when touched. It reduces the light collected by photosynthesis markedly, so while useful for protection, isn't the best for generating food from light.

They did this also when dropped onto a padded surface about 6"....until they "learned" that it was not a risk to them, and they stopped doing it....apparently learning.

Then a couple of days later, they still didn't react....then months later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrea...nt-intelligence-takes-root/#112ce2276dc4

Incredibly, in environments where the unnecessary closing of a leaf matters (low light), the plants "learned" faster...and "forgot" slower.

http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/...wer-in-environments-where-it-matters.pdf

Everytime I mow the lawns, the grass just grows again, they never give up. They're not stupid, but maybe I am for trying to beat them at something they are better at.

Thanks Shannow....there's a lot we still don't know.

Silk:
lol.gif

I pulled weeds in the garden yesterday. Wore earplugs so I didn't have to hear the screaming.

Just because plants don't run away doesn't mean much. They could be sentient in ways we have no concept of. Anthropocentric-ity gets in the way of understanding how some stuff really works.

Grass needs leaves for photosynthesis. If you mow your yard high, like 4 inches the grass will adapt and not regrow up very much, not needing cut as often. The grass will get thicker and more healthy. It will also produce lower seed heads.

Nightcrawlers will appreciate the cuttings, shade, and thicker shade. No thatch, no diseases. lower fertilizer needs. Until someone plants flowers infested with hammerhead flatworms. I expect to discover how things change with a far lower nightcrawler population as that nonnative species eats most of the worms.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Until someone plants flowers infested with hammerhead flatworms. I expect to discover how things change with a far lower nightcrawler population as that nonnative species eats most of the worms.

That is EXTREMELY unfortunate!!!

Not a surprise at all. Those who couldn't adapt were extinct a long time ago. It is amazing how a bunch of simple nerves, vanes, and cells together can function so amazing.

I've got a 40 year old Maranta leuconeura plant ... it must be pretty darn wise by now.

Originally Posted by andyd
Just because plants don't run away doesn't mean much. They could be sentient in ways we have no concept of. Anthropocentric-ity gets in the way of understanding how some stuff really works.

Yes, they live in a different reality and probably perceive us as threats. Even creatures like mammals that are closer to us biologically have a hard time communicating with us. Only now the scientific community are starting to understand that dogs have empathy, etc. even though it's a non brainer for anyone who has lived with a dog.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Until someone plants flowers infested with hammerhead flatworms. I expect to discover how things change with a far lower nightcrawler population as that nonnative species eats most of the worms.

That is EXTREMELY unfortunate!!!

You realize that nearly all of the earthworm species we have in North America are non native, introduced from Europe. There is concern that they are moving into our woodlands and destroying the forest duff ecosystem.

https://ecosystemsontheedge.org/earthworm-invaders/

Now, back on topic. I have worked with a few researchers over the years on sounds produced by trees under stress/attack that might attract insects to the weakened trees (bio-acoustics). I talk to the trees often, but they never answer back (that I am aware of).

Squash them or use vinegar or salt on them sez wikpedia. I knew earth worms are invasive. Same with honey bees, People immigrate, plants and animals invade! More anthropocentrism
grin2.gif

The article glossed over the fact that earthworms prefer softwood deciduous trees. Easy peasey .plant oaks , hardy chestnuts and disease resistant elms, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back