Planes, trains and buses laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am looking for another laptop. I have a 15.4 in widescreen that is good for home, but it is too big really to travel with (I live in Japan so traveling means sitting on trains, planes or buses). The 15.4 is too big to open up and view in my seat. I was thinking that something in the 12-13 in. arena would be more suitable for traveling here. Can anyone share experience on a good plane train bus laptop size?

Since I have already started the thread, lets see if you have any specific recommendations. Systems requirements would be (at least) 1 gig processor, 30 gig HD, at least 256 ram, DVD, wireless, Ethernet, and prefer an S-video and a firewire port. Something that can run XP, and play DVD’s and music. I would like to keep the price around $500 or less.

56.jpg

there you go, small screen

Your price limits selections.

I can't stand all those mega screen laptops. Big/bloated seems to be a way of ruining many products.

With a 7" screen, the Toshiba Libretto U100 or U105 usually sells for $800 on ebay. And, it won't weigh you down much.

Search ebay for something. You might find something a little old/odd or whatever in your price range. The ebay search engine will also allow you to select screen size in the laptop/notebook selection.

My kids compaq armada E500 is pretty decent performing unit. With 3 batteries, It'll run for half a day. Its limited to P3 power & 512mb ram. Standard is a 14" screen but the better models use a 15". Its bulky but is not a widescreen and can be had pretty cheaply.

Firewire can be added to any laptop with pcmcia card.

It's the opening size that I am worried about, and how well it fits in the tray table on the plane. Someone on another board recommended the Latitude x300 from Dell, and they seem to be going for around $300-$400 on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back