Piston Rings and Grooves

MolaKule

Staff member
A small clearance is designed-in between the piston ring and its groove.

In terms of combustion pressure, give a short explanation of the action of the top ring in its relation to the oil film and cylinder wall.

Last edited:
Your question doesn't state compression rings or oil control ring. The bottom ring rides over the small orifices in the piston which allow oil to move from the groove back to the internals of the engine. Its function is not primarily to prevent blow-by gasses from entering the crankcase. The compression rings however don't function to contact a heavy oil film like the bottom ring. Their function is to control the compression from entering the crankcase. The rings are related on the piston only in that the open ends are staggered in position at about 120 degrees and they rotate somewhat as the engine runs.

That's how I understand it.

The cylinder wall film and the ring improves the compression efficiency.
Squirting oil into a cylinder during a compression check demonstrates the effect.
Think of the oil film as a cloth wad used when firing a flintlock firearm.

The small clearance you mention in the first sentence has likely been refined over the decades and includes enough looseness to maintain free movement and not so much as to propagate rattling. The correct amount of oil to keep the groove clean as well as lubed has been developed.

Your question doesn't state compression rings or oil control ring. The bottom ring rides over the small orifices in the piston which allow oil to move from the groove back to the internals of the engine. Its function is not primarily to prevent blow-by gasses from entering the crankcase. The compression rings however don't function to contact a heavy oil film like the bottom ring. Their function is to control the compression from entering the crankcase. The rings are related on the piston only in that the open ends are staggered in position at about 120 degrees and they rotate somewhat as the engine runs.

That's how I understand it.
Let's go with the top compression ring:

A small clearance is designed-in between the piston ring and its groove.

In terms of combustion pressure, give a short explanation of the action of the top ring in its relation to the oil film and cylinder wall.

The cylinder wall film and the ring improves the compression efficiency.
Squirting oil into a cylinder during a compression check demonstrates the effect.
Think of the oil film as a cloth wad used when firing a flintlock firearm.

The small clearance you mention in the first sentence has likely been refined over the decades and includes enough looseness to maintain free movement and not so much as to propagate rattling. The correct amount of oil to keep the groove clean as well as lubed has been developed.
The question is focused on this:

In terms of combustion pressure, there is downward and outward pressure during the “bang” phase, exerted on the top ring; combustion spike forces the ring down, and the small volume of gas that passes between the ring and land can exert some outward pressure on its way to escaping at the end gap.

Is that what you were asking for?

In terms of combustion pressure, there is downward and outward pressure during the “bang” phase, exerted on the top ring; combustion spike forces the ring down, and the small volume of gas that passes between the ring and land can exert some outward pressure on its way to escaping at the end gap.

I’d say you got it.

Bingo. Thanks to all for responding.

A small vertical clearance around the piston ring in the piston's ring groove allows combustion pressure to get behind the ring and push the piston ring against the cylinder wall to seal it dynamically.

There were (still are?) compression rings which have a notch cut out the top of the ring's inner surface extending only half way to the outer. A much thinner ring is set here and it's gap is revolved away from the compression ring's gap to completely span the original, familiar gap. I believe they were called "Perfect Circle". A ring set into and atop the original compression ring, if you will.

Are those still around? I always thought the much thinner additional ring would get dirty and gum up. Maybe they were just for race engines.

There were (still are?) compression rings which have a notch cut out the top of the ring's inner surface extending only half way to the outer. A much thinner ring is set here and it's gap is revolved away from the compression ring's gap to completely span the original, familiar gap. I believe they were called "Perfect Circle". A ring set into and atop the original compression ring, if you will.

Are those still around? I always thought the much thinner additional ring would get dirty and gum up. Maybe they were just for race engines.
Engine Labs just had a test from Lake Speed Jr not too long ago, they went from a thicker "normal" ring and went to the thinner rings more typical of today, and saw an oil temp drop of 20* from the reduced friction.

Also, here's the effect MolaKule was talking about with dynamic sealing...
1688136418196.jpg

Any one remember Dykes style rings?
Remember the name, never saw them in person. I didn’t have enough money at the time to buy fancy rings, so I had Mahle PowerPaks with standard rings.

The buddies I had who could afford the fancy stuff blew their motors up often enough they didn’t use the fancy stuff, because of cost savings 😳

Back