Pirelli winter tire experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, so I get a great discount on Pirelli's. My experience with Pirelli has been so so at best but the deal I get makes it worth considering. I am looking for advice on their winter tires. I have 3 options, yes one option is studded (I am considering both studded and not studded). I live in a suburb that gets lots of snow, ice and freezing rain. Pretty much we get tons of stuff thrown at us here. Im not too worried about wet or dry road traction, since mediocre in those is fine. Its lots of snow and lots of ice and extreme cold at times. What would you choose?

Option A: Pirelli Winter Ice Zero (not studded) 203$ after mail in rebate size: 185-65-15
Option B: Pirelli Winter Ice Zero (studded) 246$ after mail in rebate size: 185-65-15
Option C: Pirelli Snowcontrol 3 (not studded) 228.36 after mail in rebate size 195-65-15

Anyone have either of these and can share their opinions on the tires including treadlife or provide opinion on which one you would choose. Thanks in advance! I am not considering any other brands since I get such a great deal on these. Next cheapest set I can get are about double that or more.. Please take note the Pirelli snowcontrol is only available in 195 (stock). I am considering going with 185.. but I prefer to choose the best tire from the lineup first!
Thanks!

Most of the studdable tires are mediocre without the studs, since they are designed to be used with the studs. Are studded tires legal where you are? Reember that studded tires only help in ice, not snow. Also, they are very noisy and chip away at the roads when dry, which is why they are restricted and sometimes even banned in places.

There's also an Ice Zero FR which is a studless design. But it has to say FR at the end!

But the Snowcontrol is a performance snow tire, which gives better dry/wet traction, but not quite as good in snow and ice.

Is Pirelli's Winter Cinturato available in either size? Because that would be the perfect tire for your needs. A studless no-performance winter tire.

If you must have Pirelli, get either the Ice Zero FR or the Winter Cinutrato.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most of the studdable tires are mediocre without the studs, since they are designed to be used with the studs. Are studded tires legal where you are? Reember that studded tires only help in ice, not snow. Also, they are very noisy and chip away at the roads when dry, which is why they are restricted and sometimes even banned in places.

There's also an Ice Zero FR which is a studless design. But it has to say FR at the end!

But the Snowcontrol is a performance snow tire, which gives better dry/wet traction, but not quite as good in snow and ice.

Is Pirelli's Winter Cinturato available in either size? Because that would be the perfect tire for your needs. A studless no-performance winter tire.

If you must have Pirelli, get either the Ice Zero FR or the Winter Cinutrato.

Apologies, I should of said the first one is the FR! The second one is just the ice zero intended for studs. And yes, studded tires are legal here. The road noise does not bother me!

Last edited:
In that case, the choice is easy, get the Ice Zero FR
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back