Pinion seal leak after rebuild, yoke sleeve?

Low and behold, on my 2012 Yukon after 1K miles, the rear pinion seal of my GM 8.6" has a tiny weep.

I knew I should have replaced the yoke sleeve, but it looked good and seemed smooth.

The leak doesn't appear to be from the splines, also might be a void in the outer lip where I might have gone light on the sealant.

So asking the ones who know, what pinion yoke sleeve and seal should I go with?

Also, best sealant for the outer lip of the seal?

The gears and bearings are quiet, doesn't seem to be a loose pinion issue, but an old yoke sleeve on a new seal,.or outer lip leak.

Just get a new yoke. Those yoke repair sleeves are temporary at best. And if it's just a tiny weep, why not just live with it?

I was thinking to keep the orientation when I put it back together, mark the nut, yoke..then a little more tightening on the crush sleeve to finish.

I haven't changed a sleeve before so if that's not normal practice over a new yoke then I can do that.

Does a yoke come with the sleeve?

As far as a weep...it's enough to not let it go. Between a weep and an overnight drip

I was thinking to keep the orientation when I put it back together, mark the nut, yoke..then a little more tightening on the crush sleeve to finish.

I haven't changed a sleeve before so if that's not normal practice over a new yoke then I can do that.

Does a yoke come with the sleeve?

As far as a weep...it's enough to not let it go. Between a weep and an overnight drip
That's not the correct way to set the pinion preload. Do it right or don't waste your time.

That's not the correct way to set the pinion preload. Do it right or don't waste your time.
Correct.

Was only basing off knowing where everything was at the disassembly point as the crush sleeve tightens and preload rises very quickly.

I rebuilt the rear about 1K miles ago, I had about 26 inch pounds total pinion/carrier rotating torque, I will pull the axles and check the rotating torque before I remove the pinion nut so I have a baseline.

My thinking was to try to maintain a visual reference point but not a huge deal.

I just want to get it sealed up correctly whatever it takes.

@atikovi Now that you mention this.... being my first rebuild, my yoke had the sleeve, and I left it alone. Now I'm thinking a new yoke and seal is meant to work as a pair, without the sleeve? If so then this could be the issue.

Last edited:
We had a 2015 Tahoe that had a slight pinion seal leak especially when it wasn’t driven for a week or so. It quit leaking if the driving intervals were ever day or so. Not sure why. On this one the pinion nut was staked from the factory. I wasn’t going to tackle that without a 3/4 impact and/or a lift. I lived with it for 3 years until traded.

Back