Picked up a used Honda Push Mower today

If it runs smooth and compression is good, then you found a nice bargain.
Only thing I dislike on my Honda push is that spring-loaded primer. It's been sticking and won't move forward on it's own. The spring tension is still strong and I sprayed oil all around ..... still a problem. I unscrewed the device once and almost couldn't get it back together. It's too complicated / complex for my non-mechanical hands.

I won't ever buy another. It's heavy and noticeably harder to push than my Yard Machine.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Zaedock
Nice find for a nice price!

I wouldn't have paid anymore than $40 for that "push" mower. Sure is far from the deal of the century to me.

Why not? I've sold cheapo MTD push mowers with no bagger to people for $40 (tuned up of course).

Anything that runs and has the Honda name will sell for $150+ around here, even if it isn't self propelled. Heck, some guy is trying to sell a non-running one similar age to what the OP bought for $140. You could probably sell a non-running Honda mower even if it had no wheels around here, just like rusty Subarus.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I wouldn't have paid anymore than $40 for that "push" mower. Sure is far from the deal of the century to me.

Why not? I've sold cheapo MTD push mowers with no bagger to people for $40 (tuned up of course).

Anything that runs and has the Honda name will sell for $150+ around here, even if it isn't self propelled. Heck, some guy is trying to sell a non-running one similar age to what the OP bought for $140. You could probably sell a non-running Honda mower even if it had no wheels around here, just like rusty Subarus.
lol.gif

I never had a Honda engine so I guess I am not up to date with their value having had mostly B & S engines. I was going to ask $50 for an old Snapper self propelled in decent shape. Guess I am going to ask more.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

lol.gif

I never had a Honda engine so I guess I am not up to date with their value having had mostly B & S engines. I was going to ask $50 for an old Snapper self propelled in decent shape. Guess I am going to ask more.

I personally don't think they are worth more, having owned both, but the market value seems to dictate that they sell for higher prices. Seems that around here at least, cheapo push mowers that run decent sell anywhere from $20-$60 depending on if it has a bagger. Self propelled models are $80+. This is in my area though, where nobody throws anything away, even non-running push mowers they will try to sell for $20 instead of putting it by the curb.

Redhat, neat find for $40 if the xenoy or what ever fancy name they called that plastic deck isn't cracked. Given it's got a GX series engine on it as opposed to a cheaper GC is a cool thing. I remember seeing those models in the late 1990s, maybe up until 2000-2001 as you say.

The only other mower that I could think of with the same level of boring longevity would be a Toro super recycler without self propelled that they sold up until some years ago. The toro would have better mulching ability, but the Honda certainly ain't bad. I've owned and used both BTW.

Last edited:
Back