Picked Up a Nice Technics SL PD677 With MASH

Picked up a lovely Technics (by Panasonic) SL PD667 compact disc changer today for $10. It seems to have been used very little, even though it was made in 1994. It has "MASH" multi stage noise shaping technology. I know how many audiophiles pass on multi disc changers like this b/c single disc players tend to sound better, but I took a chance and I really like the sound of it. IMHO it has a nice soundstage for a multi disc player. It also has a s/n ratio of 100 dB and a THD of 0.007%. I've owned Technics players with MASH before and liked them. Many of these are on eBay selling for about $75.
Then after I was playing it with 5 discs in it, I turned it off for a while, and when I turned it back on a little later, it wouldn't play a disc. So I took the cover off it and (it's very clean inside and the push buttons don't show much wear) and checked it out. It would skip the disc to move to the next disc, it just would not spin any disc, but if I moved the disc with my finger to get it spinning, it then would play just fine. And after doing this on a few CDs, it then seemed to be able to spin them on its own. Then it played many CDs, over and over again, so I put the cover back on it and I think I'll do OK with it, hopefully. If not, do any of you happen to know what might get CDs to spin in it on its own? There seems to be something that spins the CD just to move it, and then the CD transport takes over and the CD plays.
Right now I've had it playing for hours and it's performed nicely. Listening to The Doors "The End" right now. Most of my CDs seem to sound better on this player.

Perhaps this unit just needs to be played more. Is that possible? Could it have refused to spin from a lack of use? It's over 25 years old. My other living room CDP is an Onkyo C7030 single disc player. I also have a decent Sharp CDP in the bedroom system, and a Panasonic DVD / CD player.
I seem to like the sound of this SL-PD677 even more than my C7030. The highs it produces are crisp, but not harsh, playing over my Boston Acoustics A60s. I love anything by Panasonic or Sony.

DSC_2349.JPG

Last edited:
I would guess the discs inside to be Green Day, Pearl Jam, REM, STP and TOOL.

Picked up a lovely Technics (by Panasonic) SL PD667 compact disc changer today for $10. It seems to have been used very little, even though it was made in 1994. It has "MASH" multi stage noise shaping technology. I know how many audiophiles pass on multi disc changers like this b/c single disc players tend to sound better, but I took a chance and I really like the sound of it. IMHO it has a nice soundstage for a multi disc player. It also has a s/n ratio of 100 dB and a THD of 0.007%. I've owned Technics players with MASH before and liked them. Many of these are on eBay selling for about $75.
Then after I was playing it with 5 discs in it, I turned it off for a while, and when I turned it back on a little later, it wouldn't play a disc. So I took the cover off it and (it's very clean inside and the push buttons don't show much wear) and checked it out. It would skip the disc to move to the next disc, it just would not spin any disc, but if I moved the disc with my finger to get it spinning, it then would play just fine. And after doing this on a few CDs, it then seemed to be able to spin them on its own. Then it played many CDs, over and over again, so I put the cover back on it and I think I'll do OK with it, hopefully. If not, do any of you happen to know what might get CDs to spin in it on its own? There seems to be something that spins the CD just to move it, and then the CD transport takes over and the CD plays.
Right now I've had it playing for hours and it's performed nicely. Listening to The Doors "The End" right now. Most of my CDs seem to sound better on this player.

Perhaps this unit just needs to be played more. Is that possible? Could it have refused to spin from a lack of use? It's over 25 years old. My other living room CDP is an Onkyo C7030 single disc player. I also have a decent Sharp CDP in the bedroom system, and a Panasonic DVD / CD player.
I seem to like the sound of this SL-PD677 even more than my C7030. The highs it produces are crisp, but not harsh, playing over my Boston Acoustics A60s. I love anything by Panasonic or Sony.

View attachment 66116
Sweet find my friend enjoy it 👍🏼

Perhaps this unit just needs to be played more. Is that possible?
I agree.

The SL-PD927 was also a good unit and made in Japan. I recommended it to my cousin when in the market for a CD changer back in the day and as far as I know, my aunt and uncle still have it.

Being an older unit, I would buy a belt kit for it. Any belts that old can't be in very good condition. Probably only has one for the carriage. The belts on all my old gear turned to goo long ago.

I would guess the discs inside to be Green Day, Pearl Jam, REM, STP and TOOL.
Right now, 2 by Stevie Nicks "Rock a Little" and "The Wild Heart", The Best of Jeff Beck, Carl Perkins "Go Cat Go", and The Tubes "White Punks On Dope".

Being an older unit, I would buy a belt kit for it. Any belts that old can't be in very good condition. Probably only has one for the carriage. The belts on all my old gear turned to goo long ago.
I played it for several hours tonight. It seems to be playing better now. It probably sat unused for many years, even decades.
I think there's a good chance I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Niiiice!
I love the old stuff. I still have my(from ~ 1973-'75), Yamaha CR820 receiver, Phillips cassette deck, Audio Reflex 10 band EQ and AKAI turntable. I don't use'm anymore but, I still have'm.

I took the cover off again and applied a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil to the upper part of the CD cradle to get it to spin more freely and it seems to have been exactly what the unit needed to make it work perfectly. I was careful to wipe off any excess. I think the upper cradle got a little dried out over the years. Now I'm trying to acquire more CDs.

And I didn't think it would play MP3 CDs but it seems to play MP3s I've bought from amazon, but not MP3 albums I've got from youtube. For instance I have a few albums by Bonnie Raitt that it will play fine. Anyone know why that might be? I really don't like whole albums from youtube because they're all one file and you can't get direct track access. I guess they'd be fine of you were to play whole albums while on a long road trip or something.

Back