Picked up a Jetta 1.8 Turbo -Additive Rec. anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks DC84

I have a few follow up questions:

1) Would Mobil 1 Extended Performance be a good Synthetic oil to use? Is there a reason you recommend the 5W-40 grade and the Syntec/ Rotella T Brands?

2) When I replace the plugs at 40K, I plan to use Denso/ NGK Iridium plugs. Do the 1.8T's like a different kind of plug better?

3)Which tranny fluid is best for the 5 spd Tiptronic?

4)Would you recommend a fuel additive (Redline, Techron) and an Oil additive like Auto RX? If so, how often?

Thanks in advance

I'm a picky VW 1.8T owner and tried several spark plugs (stock NGK platinums, NGK copper cheapos, Denso Iridium) and found the stock NGK Platinum plugs to work the best ou of these three in terms of gas mileage AND longevity.

I like M1 0W-40 and M1 5W-40 in these engines, but that's me. M1 EP is a waste IMO. M1 High Mileage oils are probably very good but only one UOA has come in with them so far. GC and Syntec 5W-40 did not agree with my engine. Got oil consumption and loss of fuel economy.

Sure a fuel system treatment is a good idea used right before you drain the motor oil.

How clean is it inside the oil fill hole? Like clean, wet metal? Slighly brown? Dark brown/black?

Quote:

Ahh I got confused by the different names from U.S to Australia. We don't have Jetta we have Bora and Passat.

Here it was first (1979) Jetta -> (1992) Vento -> (1997) Bora and now back to (2006) Jetta.

1. Use an oil that has VW502.00 approval/spec. Almost all VW502.00 oils are 5W-40.
2. All VW/Audi I know do best with the oem spark plug.
3. Best would be to use ATF from dealer. It's Esso LT 71141.
4. No.

As JAG and bar1 said, I think sticking with OEM stuff for W is the best way to go.

If you can find a good dealership parts person (my guy in town is a vw fan and hooks me up for basically 10% over invoice) it is a good deal.

Otherwise I would suggest to go online and get the stuff. here are plenty of websites that sell OEM VW parts and are much cheaper than dealers.

Some of them do not get the same things that the dealer does, such as the tranny fluids for example. Those are usually available through dealers only and usually command a higher price.

I have been running all OEM stuff and synthetic oils an dam at 60K without any problems.

I have not had any problems with GC (Castrol 0w-30) in either the MPG or the consumption department so I have been using that.

I would also certainly use Mobil 1 0w-40, like JAG said, considering that is one of the 2-3 remaining oils that can be bought over the counter and are 502 00 certified.

Let m eknow if you need any more info.

Just added 8.5 oz. of AUTO RX for a cleaning.

Will use Valvoline 5W30 Dino Oil for the Rinse phase and use Mobil 1 EP Oil Filters

I couldn't find ANY 5W40 Oil for the car other than Castrol Syntec!!! Is this a good oil? How long can I stretch it before oil changes?

If you want to know how long your oil can go, I would say do a UOA. Otherwise its just guess work.

Syntec 5w-40 should be an ok oil.

VWs recommendation is 5000 miles for oil changes. Syntec 5w-40 is what most dealerships use.

The 2.0T engine is supposed to go to 10K mile intervals, so I would think the 1.8T should be good for tat as well.

I am running Syntec 0w-30 right now and just changed oil at 7500 miles and will be sending it in for analysis.
Well see what comes back.

I am sticking with Syntec 0w-30 (until they discontinue it) and just put in the big OEM VW filter and am hoping to go to 10 000 miles for the next oil change. We ll see how that goes based on my UOA at 7500.

You can purchase 40k service kits from ECStuning for around $150. They include the OEM NGK Platinum plugs and the OEM air/cabin/fuel filters along with 5 qt of 5W40 synthetic oil and the OEM filter.

I gave my brother a maintenance dose
wink.gif

Id go with the 5w-40 for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that the 1.8t engines run very hot under the hood. Another reason is that most of the oil that meets VW's oil specs are of a 5w-40 grade. At all the dealers ive been to or worked for we have always put in Castrol 5w-40. I say use it also because i know that it works well in these engines. As far as the plugs go dont go cheap when it comes time to replace them. NGK is the preferred brand on these and if you were to buy from a dealer you would be getting relabeled NGK plugs. For the transmission fluid ill have to say stick with the oem fluids only because ive never mixed in anything else and im really unsure of what would be a good choice. Overall your best bet for a one stop shop would be to take Critics advice and buy the package deal and call it a day. For the fuel additives we have packages that use BG's CF5 cleaner every 10k miles, but thats only to add a few $$$ to the bill. In reality id say either every 20k or 40k throw some cleaner in the tank. As far as the 10k synthetic oil changes go i wouldnt recommend that unless you do some UOA's ive seen many 1.8's sludge even with synthetics because they have pushed it to far.

Thanks DC84

I'll stick with Syntec going forward. How long would you run an oil like Syntec?

I've seen people recommend Iridium plugs as well as platinum plugs. Not sure which one to go with, especially since Iridiums are generally considered superior plugs.

The fuel filters on the 1.8T are considered lifetime filters. Would it still need a change?

I purchased an AFE Air Filter (similar yet superior to K&N, rebadged as TRD for Toyota)

For me 5k miles is a good figure to go with on the safe side. Its going to depend alot on conditions and so on. May want to go 5k and then get a UOA to check the progress and then adjust the intervals as needed. For the fuel filter id say do it with the 40k service, its cheap and easy insurance. I have seen some sucess with the iridium plugs it wouldnt hurt to try these out but you may find that the prices are a bit higher than the platinums. Many newer turbocharged vehicles have gone to iridium plugs already and VW may have something listed for the newer engines but id have to check. Air filters are an open subject for me... I like the quality of OEM but Im sure there are others that work better and cost less.

The Critic and DC84 have good advice.

I too have a 337 and some of what has been said as advice is a bit
confused.gif
Please, in the name that is not "cheap" use a top grade 5w-40 synthetic and the big filter. These cars do run freakishly hot. Personaly I would not ever go over 5k changes.
Buy an extra coilpac and maf sensor for spares, you will need them.
Nice to see someone planning ahead with some preventative maintenence.

Since everybody has been giving advice about everything else except for additives, I just have to say that I am using FP3000.

As for oil change intervals, do as you please, but if you are really considering going longer than 5000 I would say to do a UOA.

I will be sending in my sample some time soon which was taken at 7500 and see how it comes back.

My previous samples have had a high TBN so I am not really concerned. I think most TBNs were in the 4-5 range which is pretty good, and should be no problem going another 2500 miles.

Europeans are usually running 15000 km on their short interval and even longer with LongLife service and oil, so saying that 5000 miles is pushing it is kind of panicing without reason.

I just changed my fuel filter at 60000 and will be changing my manual tranny fluid as well.

Like stated before, go to vortex and get even more info about this type of car.

Tank 1 = 28 mpg with Silver (89 Octane) gas and Redline

Switching to Premium since I hear these engines love the stuff. 8.5 Ozs of ARX still in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back