Pick me an oil please...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a 10w-40 or 15w-40. In the summer you could use HD 40 also. Castrol High Mileage or Pennzoil High Mileage are both thicker 10w-30s if you need just a bit more pressure.

With a high volume pump and large oil clearances, 45 psi is not scary at all.

I would however lean towards a HDEO for the extra aw/ep additives.

If you need a good brand of 15W-40 of course I'll recommend Amsoil. It's not as shockingly expensive as some of the other PAO or POE synthetics out there.

Amsoil AME 15W-40

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
Haven't we been here before with this engine?

Yeah for some reason the guy didn't like the first thread he ran about it, so he decided to run another one.
dunno.gif

OK:

I am not a chemist, nor do I have time right now to research and educate myself enough to make an informed decision............

I have a brand new street/strip motor with larger than stock oil clearences and a high volume racing oil pump.

Currently, on 10w30 valvoline dino oil (break in) I get 30psi hot idle, 60psi cold idle, and what is somewhat ALARMING to me: max 45psi HOT pressure!

I think that is telling me the 30 is NOT enough for hot temps.

What should I run/What would you run????

Thanks

I would not use any of the oils you listed. I would do what everyone keeps suggesting over and over.

USE A HDMO 15W40.

Everyone here is saying the same thing. Hot Rod magazines say the same thing, and on and on.

If you want and expert opinion. Pay Terry Dyson for an analysis. It is a bargain at $35.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:

If you want and expert opinion. Pay Terry Dyson for an analysis. It is a bargain at $35.

Actually, it's now $50, but still a great price.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
I would not use any of the oils you listed. I would do what everyone keeps suggesting over and over.

USE A HDMO 15W40.

Everyone here is saying the same thing. Hot Rod magazines say the same thing, and on and on.

Sorry....not quite sure what the heck a HDMO is.

Is Rotella T 15w40 one? If so that is what I will try to find.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Looks like I found some Rotella T 15w40..........and ****, it is reasonably priced.

I will throw it in and report back on what my oil pressures do........that is if no one objects.

Thanks Again Guys!

You've added nothing new.

Your pressures are completely predictable given the clearances and sewing machine thin oil you're running. I would never have run a 10W-30 PCMO to break in this engine. I guess I was too subtle last time. You should have run a straight 30 or 40 weight, possibly with a moly boosting additive.

As I told you last time, you want to run straight weights at the track on this one. The only 40 I'd think about would be RL; anything else you'll likely need to go higher. Start with a 50 weight for racing and watch your temps and pressures.

20W-50 makes the most sense for this one on the street, provided you're not going to drive it like a maniac.

67GTCoupe - Having 45psi hot is good oil pressure on 10W-30. You will go up to 55psi on 10W-40 or 15W-40. Volvohead is right, you should of been breaking in the engine with straight 30W. I hope this post will calm your concerns regarding oil pressure.
wink.gif

- Clyde

Thanks all.

This is a street car that is driven hard and will see some strip duty....just to clear that up.

I filled it with 15w40 rotella t, and will take it out tomorrow for a run.

I will keep you posted on the results.

quote:

Yes, BUT if you re-read my post you will see that I do have some new data for you to look at.........mainly the 45psi MAX oil pressure.

I am not sure if you caught that point?

canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

Yeah for some reason the guy didn't like the first thread he ran about it, so he decided to run another one.
dunno.gif

Actually:Yes, BUT if you re-read my post you will see that I do have some new data for you to look at.........mainly the 45psi MAX oil pressure.

I am not sure if you caught that point?

dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back