Pic of dead Orange Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a rear engine dragster at an estate sale. It has a 496ci BBC. I installed new oil(15-40w) and filter(PH5). I went with cheap stuff because I had to partially reassemble the engine and knew I would be changing the oil and filter with good stuff after about 30 min of run time. The engine has a hi-volume oil pump and makes about 70psi. The bypass on the spin on filter adapter is plugged, so the filter get hit with pumps full volume.

Here's what the PH5 looked like after 30 mins of run time total. The next filter will be a XG5 w/Mobil1 15-50w. It will be interesting to see how the XG5 holds up.

P1010857_zps0b09258e.jpg

Yikes. Would hate for the pressure relief internal to the block to get lazy, it would probably have completely imploded that thing.

But you say its plugged. Bypass adapter? Basically you're admitting you killed this one. That's fine, but I'm sure too many will read that as "FRAM failed."

If you are going to run an engine with that much oil pressure and no bypass you need to run a filter designed for that application like a Moroso or a WIX racing filter.

Originally Posted By: jegs
If you are going to run an engine with that much oil pressure and no bypass you need to run a filter designed for that application like a Moroso or a WIX racing filter.

Or dare I say, one of those stainless mesh filters.
shocked.gif

I cut apart three entry-level filters a months or so ago and posted their pictures on this site. One of them was a Fram orange can. While I didn't comment on the build quality, the Fram had a very flimsy center tube. In my mind, I laughed about it and compared it to the thickness of a gum wrapper. I'm sure it would be fine for a passenger car, but not a dragster. For your dragster, you need to buy a filter specifically designed for high pressure and high volume, not a common, ordinary passenger car filter.

According to the Fram site, the PH5 has no relief/bypass valve. Perhaps a filter with a bypass might have helped the issue here. And, the "plugged" spin on bypass adapter should be addressed. Also a true racing filter, which are basically sieves, might be more appropriate in this application.

I've been racing the dragster with a Fram XG5 and unlike the PH5 pictured here in post#1, the XG5 came thru unharmed. Here are some pics of the XG5. The Fram Ultras have proved to me that they are built to take a linkin and keep on tickin. But the filter media is probably a little restrictive in a racing application. The next filter will be a Moroso. They're less restrictive. Also, I'm puttin back on a stock spin-on filter adapter with bypass valve in it.

Originally Posted By: jetman
I've been racing the dragster with a Fram XG5 and unlike the PH5 pictured here in post#1, the XG5 came thru unharmed. Here are some pics of the XG5. The Fram Ultras have proved to me that they are built to take a linkin and keep on tickin. But the filter media is probably a little restrictive in a racing application.

It probably lived because the full synthetic media flows better than cellulose. Plus the center tube is probably more stout than the PH5's.

Jetman, thanks for both posts and pics. Interesting test of both filters that are out of the norm. Yes, the XG5 would flow lots better than the PH5 but the comment above about the high flow mesh filter is probably a good one. You might look at the thread nearby and consider one if you haven't already plunked down cash for the Moroso.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Jetman, thanks for both posts and pics. Interesting test of both filters that are out of the norm. Yes, the XG5 would flow lots better than the PH5 but the comment above about the high flow mesh filter is probably a good one. You might look at the thread nearby and consider one if you haven't already plunked down cash for the Moroso.

The stainless screen type filters(Oberg) are pricey, like $150 plus a lot of large AN fittings and high pressure hose(another $200). The Moroso spin-on cost me $13. I bought this dragster at an estate sale and hope to resale it for a profit.

On my keeper, I do have an Oberg w/SS screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back