Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra

Installed Phillips Crystal Vision ultra headlight in my truck
Very pleased so far, the light is nice and white no more yellow from the factory bulbs.

Attachments

• 3820EB92-63C8-4700-BF9C-8F068AF0F04C.jpeg
    3820EB92-63C8-4700-BF9C-8F068AF0F04C.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 68772039-B450-4E39-A17C-5B4BA4172704.jpg
    68772039-B450-4E39-A17C-5B4BA4172704.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 77
At least those have a light blue tint on the bulb glass so it doesn't make it completely useless.

Companies can't advertise brighter because if it falls outside the the lumen specification for that type of bulb, then it doesn't meet DOT or EU specifications.

I have some Phillips extreme h4 +130

I like them much better with the blue coating removed.
The high beam especially, is much more intense, as it had the solid band of blue all the way round it.

The silver cap, which I did not remove, still has blue under it and light output is slightly 'whiter' than standard halogen.

The blue coating knocks down output by 20% or so, meaning the bulb's filament has to be overdriven in order to meet the minimum output specs.

Attachments

• 20201123_005607.jpg
    20201123_005607.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
They've gotten about 30 hours on them so far, since I carefully scraped off the blue coating.
Probably another 25 by this time next week...crosscountry drive, and mostly at night.

The Phillips Xtreme +xxx bulbs have smaller, tighter wound, more precisely located filament(s) within the bulb, for better focus.

The blue coating, is unfortunate, in my opinion, but I also care more about function than fashion.

Tungsram has a +120 H4 bulb without the blue coating.

It's a bit time consuming to scrape off, and perhaps dangerous as the bulb is under considerable pressure. Take precautions if attempting. I used 70% IPA on Qtip to clean off the scarpings and act like a lubricant as well. Perhaps it helps soften it too.

I'd think if I compromised the glass in the process, it would have already blown up.

When they do fail I am getting the Phillips Xtreme h4 racing vision +200, and removing the blue coating, unless something better has become available by then.

Another member here has used a aluminum polish to remove the blue coating.

Removing the blue coating likely has them putting out 'illegal' amounts of lumens as they a have to fall within a range of output with the coating.

Scroll down to page 6 in the following link:
'What about light loss due to filtration"

Brighter is good in general....but.... hate to be negative, those Ford Super Duty headlights are Super Annoying. Every time i get blinded by them (i call them stadium lights), I curse them. Do they really need to be that huge? Of course they are up very high to exacerbate the problem. Not your fault, but Ford should have toned them down and/or some regulators need to get involved.

Brighter is good in general....but.... hate to be negative, those Ford Super Duty headlights are Super Annoying. Every time i get blinded by them (i call them stadium lights), I curse them. Do they really need to be that huge? Of course they are up very high to exacerbate the problem. Not your fault, but Ford should have toned them down and/or some regulators need to get involved.
Your speaking of the lights on the King Ranch...upper end models ????

Your speaking of the lights on the King Ranch...upper end models ????
I doubt it. After being irradiated, all I can see are spots. The headlights look like the OP’s photo. Hopefully the OP does not take it personally.

Back