Petty Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Get ready.... it's gonna get very bad very soon.

Law enforcement in many cities no longer responds to these types of thefts.

When seconds count police are minutes away....

Get armed and be prepared to provide your own protection, it's true soon enough all honorable citizens will be acting as their own police.

In some states like TX you can use deadly force to protect property and person, even your neighbors person and property. This needs to be the law everywhere in the USA.

The Castle Doctrine also applies to Texans when they're in their vehicles. Is that the case in other states as well?

Originally Posted by P10crew
Reddy if that's true that is a complete fail! And the good citizens just sit and allow it? Worse yet!

The problem is that *if* a good citizen would intervene, the legal system would come down on the citizen like a ton of bricks and the real offender would still skate...

And that's as close to the political third-rail as I dare to get.

Originally Posted by Leo99

I always take precautions to thwart thieves. No extra steps to take.

Same here, to the point where the car that's parked in the driveway has nothing visible inside and the remote to the garage door opener comes inside the house.

Yet, I have neighbors who leave their laptop sitting in plain sight, in the back seat, the car isn't locked, and they're genuinely shocked when someone takes it.

And don't you dare point out that they should have taken precautions because you're then "victim-shaming". Yes, it's wrong for someone to take the laptop, but we're not living in Mayberry...

Last night it was on the news that one of the offenders that was let out murdered someone the day after he was set free. This was in Florida BTW.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Get ready.... it's gonna get very bad very soon.

Law enforcement in many cities no longer responds to these types of thefts.

When seconds count police are minutes away....

Get armed and be prepared to provide your own protection, it's true soon enough all honorable citizens will be acting as their own police.

In some states like TX you can use deadly force to protect property and person, even your neighbors person and property. This needs to be the law everywhere in the USA.

The Castle Doctrine also applies to Texans when they're in their vehicles. Is that the case in other states as well?

We lack the castle doctrine here in NJ. I have a duty to retreat if I can to escape a dangerous situation except in my home. In my home I can use deadly force if I fear for my life. I can carry my weapon on my property. My opinion is that if I was carrying on my property and outside my house and if a person attacked me on my property, I'd be justified in using deadly force. There might be a trial and a lot of fallout and a bad place for me but I'd probably be acquitted. If I saw someone lurking outside and went out to confront them with my weapon and they attacked me and I used deadly force, I'd very likely be found guilty of manslaughter or something similar and spend some time in prison. Certainly lots of shades of gray but I would not confront someone outside my house unless I feared for my safety. If it was only property stolen, which the only thing to steal at my house that is outside is my BBQ grill, I'd call the police and monitor the situation.

Speaking of New Jersey, I was told in my CCW class that prosecutors have an issue with hollow points in New Jersey.

Remember the Death Wish movies with Charles Bronson ?

America might end up with thugs roaming the streets in a month looking for easy targets.

Desperate people do desperate things, sometimes illegal things.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Speaking of New Jersey, I was told in my CCW class that prosecutors have an issue with hollow points in New Jersey.

That's true. Basically the only circumstances where I can possess hp bullets is the same as possession of a handgun. To and from gun store, gun range, or in the process of interstate travel.

There was a big case where a guy got sent to prison possessing gun while moving his residence. It was a complicated case and more to it than that but the court said moving was not a valid reason. Guess we need to stop at the gun range during the move to make things legal.

There was also a big discussion about retired leo being able to possess hp bullets in NJ.

And I've heard lore of someone getting into legal trouble for having hp bullet on their keychain.

Remember the Death Wish movies with Charles Bronson ?

America might end up with thugs roaming the streets in a month looking for easy targets.

Desperate people do desperate things, sometimes illegal things.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Op here,

I have to admit that while I was suspicious something nefarious was going on, Its not like I am armed, or could chase down a young nimble thief, and it was not on my property. Say I were to successfully find confront, trap , and stomp a thief on a neighbors property. and call the cops and keep detaining while they arrived.

I'd probably get charged with assault and kidnapping in this state.

Say I just stomped them and let them go, then have them come back later to F me up?

So, If I happen to notice dark clothed people scurrying about late at night again....what to do?

Call the cops and have them say, are they in the process of stealing anything worth more than 1000$?

While part of me is being obtuse, really, what's a safe proper course of action if you suspect some dirtbags are casing an area looking for something to steal, and could be long gone before any cops show up, if they show up?

I'm expecting this to happen again.

Don't do anything.. but maybe consider moving. I believe in your state it's very possible for someone you catch in the act to sue you afterwards and even win.

Learn to use a Bobcat. Have pre-surveyed places where a 6' deep hole would not be noticed.

That's true. Basically the only circumstances where I can possess hp bullets is the same as possession of a handgun. To and from gun store, gun range, or in the process of interstate travel.

There was a big case where a guy got sent to prison possessing gun while moving his residence. It was a complicated case and more to it than that but the court said moving was not a valid reason. Guess we need to stop at the gun range during the move to make things legal.

There was also a big discussion about retired leo being able to possess hp bullets in NJ.

And I've heard lore of someone getting into legal trouble for having hp bullet on their keychain.

Time to go retro, then...dumdum bullets are easy to make.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Time to go retro, then...dumdum bullets are easy to make.

Some people in NJ say they're using the polymer filled hp bullets so they get the benefits of hp while not technically using hp bullets. It's practically impossible to get a carry permit in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back