Permatex PermaShield = Hylomar?

The timing chain tensioner access cover on the Toyota 2GR-FE engines is sealed to the timing cover using a metal gasket. The gasket is similar to the type of metal gasket used on lower intake manifolds.

For some unknown reason, mine decided to start dripping after a few hundred miles. I have obtained a replacement gasket and will clean the surfaces more thoroughly this time, but I wonder if applying the referenced Permatex product (#85420) would be a good idea. I read online that it is very similar to Hylomar Blue and should be a better choice than most gasket sealants or RTV.

98BA9128-312D-426B-991C-F7C5DF1D9A31.jpeg

It's a Flange sealant just like Hylomar, It's likely a suitable substitute. Was there any of the Elastomer Coating from the original gasket left on the Tensioner Cover or Timing Cover? With your attention to detail....I doubt that!

Stamped Steel covers can screw you over even when every precaution is taken. I would try a little extra torque on the bolts first. If that doesn't work....Replace the Cover & Gasket using some flange sealant.

Just a tip from an experienced engine/trans guy.....Flat File the Timing Cover surface where the Access Cover bolts on just enough to knock down any high spots. Of course it's to late for that now as this is part of the prep before cleaning the Timing Cover.

The product appears to spread like Motorcraft XG3A but dries like hard candle wax. Here is a picture of the product while it is still wet.

9CC32DA7-F3A2-41FD-A7A7-CA5704497CCF.jpeg

It's a Flange sealant just like Hylomar, It's likely a suitable substitute. Was there any of the Elastomer Coating from the original gasket left on the Tensioner Cover or Timing Cover? With your attention to detail....I doubt that!

Stamped Steel covers can screw you over even when every precaution is taken. I would try a little extra torque on the bolts first. If that doesn't work....Replace the Cover & Gasket using some flange sealant.

Just a tip from an experienced engine/trans guy.....Flat File the Timing Cover surface where the Access Cover bolts on just enough to knock down any high spots. Of course it's to late for that now as this is part of the prep before cleaning the Timing Cover.
Thank you for the tips!

Upon further review, it appears that I had installed the cover inside/out. Both the tabs and the bulge are supposed to face outward, not inward.

FD918BCB-DE09-4000-A5AF-A469395B7DC2.jpeg

Reversing the direction of the plate was not the cause of the leak, IMO. The head of the bolt had dug into the plate (a bit) and left a slight groove on the surface. A thin coated metal gasket is not able to conform to the groove and therefore, this caused a leak path.

I corrected the direction of the plate, scuffed the areas where a “new” groove was created (due to installing the plate incorrectly) and used the Permatex hylomar product on both sides of the new gasket. Reinstalled and torqued….so far so good. Worse case, I will just buy a new plate.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that sometimes the steel gaskets with the raised section in the middle do not hold torque the first time around.
This plenum to injector manifold uses that type, even torquing them down in 3 steps still needed to retorqued a couple of times before it held the torque, the gasket was compressing.
BTW Permatex used to make Hylomar under license and Permatex Hylomar branded, there was some sort of issue between the companies and Permatex started to produce their own version, it is slightly different. Hylomar stays pliable forever and does not go like hard candle wax.
I am sure it works fine.

IMG_0001.JPG

The Permatex help desk is super fast at getting back to people if you want to contact them.

Since you are dealing with a metal gasket, Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 would work fine as it is a non hardening gasket dressing ( even though the product name suggests it is for forming gaskets). The Permashield product is a version when you are trying to deal with gasoline issues, but will still work also.

I don’t believe Permatex has a product identical to Hylomar Blue, as Hylomar Blue is so specialized, it comes in 3 viscosities, L,M and H, as well as Universal Blue as well as souped up versions such as AF ( advanced formulation), Racing grade, Aerograde, and Aerograde Ultra. Just using the word Hylomar to describe the product does not really do it justice, IMHO. :)

Last edited:
I don’t believe Permatex has a product identical to Hylomar Blue, as Hylomar Blue is so specialized, it comes in 3 viscosities, L,M and H, as well as Universal Blue as well as souped up versions such as AF ( advanced formulation), Racing grade, Aerograde, and Aerograde Ultra. Just using the word Hylomar to describe the product does not really do it justice, IMHO. :)
True.

Though…I was reading that most of the Hylomar formulas are very similar. Permatex just says “universal blue” on their package.

C3E6A264-65A0-4DED-923F-E8E91378E6D9.jpeg

Back