Perception vs Reality- growing up in the 80s

Yeah, wood paneling is more 70's. My wife thinks I'm nuts but someday I'll have a man-cave with wood paneling and green carpeting. :)

This is a surprisingly popular 60's themed bar in Des Moines - been there several times. That is real green shag carpeting...no idea how they keep it clean.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-15-at-10.35.53-AM.png

Nahh-that paneling screams "1970s" to me! I was lucky, we never had it, but a lot of my friends did, along with shag rugs, lava lamps, velvet Elvis posters...
In the mid- to late-'60s, it was common for my friends' parents to have big wooden forks and spoons on the wall of the dining room. I think they were teak or mahogany. I thought they were very exotic.

The basements of that era often had a "rumpus room" complete with "funny" wooden signs on the wall:

"Plan Ahead", with the first half generously spaced, and the later letters squished together;

"In Case Of Fire, Lift Flap", and underneath "Not now, dummy - I said in case of fire!";

"Pistol Club - drink to midnight, piss 'til dawn" (in the shape of an old revolver, of course);

"Who's In The Doghouse?", which included two wooden adult dogs and a number of puppies. Each dog had a space for a family member's name, and an eyelet to allow it to be hung up in the doghouse.

etc. etc.

Many of my friends' parents also had a homemade bar in the basement, typically covered with quilted Naugahyde.

In the mid- to late-'60s, it was common for my friends' parents to have big wooden forks and spoons on the wall of the dining room. I think they were teak or mahogany. I thought they were very exotic.

The basements of that era often had a "rumpus room" complete with "funny" wooden signs on the wall:

"Plan Ahead", with the first half generously spaced, and the later letters squished together;

"In Case Of Fire, Lift Flap", and underneath "Not now, dummy - I said in case of fire!";

"Pistol Club - drink to midnight, piss 'til dawn" (in the shape of an old revolver, of course);

"Who's In The Doghouse?", which included two wooden adult dogs and a number of puppies. Each dog had a space for a family member's name, and an eyelet to allow it to be hung up in the doghouse.

etc. etc.

Many of my friends' parents also had a homemade bar in the basement, typically covered with quilted Naugahyde.
Yup 👍👍👍

Back