Perception vs Reality- growing up in the 80s

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
343726778_975685967138615_2891860415056498295_n.jpg

During the late '60s and early '70s I had a map like this on my wall. Kept reading about a country there and wondered if my future included a free all expenses paid trip to it.

southeast-asia-map.jpg
Singapore is on that map and Singapore was founded in 1965..... so I think you likely had an older map on your wall.......

During the late '60s and early '70s I had a map like this on my wall. Kept reading about a country there and wondered if my future included a free all expenses paid trip to it.

southeast-asia-map.jpg
In 1985-86 I visited 10 countries on this map. I did a brief 5 minute visit to Laos by swimming across the Mekong River from Thailand. Aw, to be young again. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the paneling, but then again I like a lot of things 1950-80. Maybe, it’s a nostalgic thing because it was in the house I grew up in. It was an 1800 SF farmhouse built in 1877. My great-grandfather bought it in 1943, jacked it up, and had my two great-uncles hand-dig the basement, two wheelbarrow loads, each day after school. Great grandpa put a 13-course cinder block basement down there, but there were some house resettlement cracks in the plaster. When he remodeled the house around 1965, about 90% of it got wood paneling to cover the cracks. Now, I’d say only 60% is wood-paneled.

Singapore is on that map and Singapore was founded in 1965..... so I think you likely had an older map on your wall.......
Singapore didn't give it away to me since it existed as a colony for a long time, but Ho Chi Minh City did. That map is from 1975 or later with the new name for Saigon.

I happened to see two '80s music videos last night. Just like back in the day, I wondered where (outside pop videos) people actually dressed like Prince in "When Doves Cry." Certainly not in my one-stoplight town, and I never saw it in Chicago or Denver, the two biggest cities I visited back then.

As a video, "You Might Think" by The Cars held up strangely well.

Posters: Heather Thomas for the win. And '80s metalheads will recall that "FTW" had a different meaning back then.

Back