Pep-Boys strikes again

I don't about the balance issue here, cause etc. However, I'm surprised PB is still business. After Carl Ichan took over as boss there was only one direction PB was going, down. Ichan is the embodiment of Gordon Gekko. Just read where he sold the PB HQ .

Ah, yes, the Eddie Lampert model.
The parts are worth more than the business.
However, in this case, Carl might have been on to something.

Ah, yes, the Eddie Lampert model.
The parts are worth more than the business.
However, in this case, Carl might have been on to something.
Right or wrong, 'in my observation' he's done his best (or perhaps normal worst) to take the company apart, to line his pockets. Then again, that's his MO. As noted, a real life Gordon Gekko. I think more about the folks he's put out of work, than if he was "right".

I make no excuses and no apologies for not liking the guy. And really, that's being kind on my real thoughts.

Last edited:
Right or wrong, 'in my observation' he's done his best (or perhaps normal worst) to take the company apart, to line his pockets. Then again, that's his MO. As noted, a real life Gordon Gekko. I think more about the folks he's put out of work, than if he was "right".

I make no excuses and no apologies for not liking the guy. And really, that's being kind on my real thoughts.

As the old saying goes "Only the fit survive."
Pep Boys wasn't fit, it was a cluster. It probably still is.
Icahn took advantage of a situation just like Lampert did. They both lined their pockets.
What happened with Sears IMO was a travesty. They should have been what Amazon is now.
The basic infrastructure was there. With proper evolution, expertise and execution, Sears would still be in business.
Both sides of PB were poorly operated and led. The retail side was collapsing, Icahn put it out of its misery.
Success is bred by good leadership with the vision and will for their respective entity to thrive, survive, and evolve. If PB would have had that, it wouldn't be where it is now.

..Icahn took advantage of a situation just like Lampert did. They both lined their pockets..
No fan of Lampert either, and well aware of Sears history. However, the way I look at, another old saying, "two wrongs don't make a right."

IMO, and in my observation Icahn's dealings go well beyond Lampert's exploits, as an August 2017 New Yorker article details. Fortunately he failed in that attempt.

Pointless to try and convince me otherwise about Icahn.

Last edited:
Pointless to try and convince me otherwise about Icahn.

Don't know when I tried to.
I merely stated in a roundabout manner that PepBoys is a substandard business.
How do I know? Firsthand experience.

I would never never ever ever take my vehicle to PB. In fact I wouldn't want them to work on my wheelbarrow. They are the worst of them all.

Back